hitting power

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 27, 2019
Like this:

7AYrCOG.gif

:D

Anyway, what were you expecting to get out of the answers to your query? If somebody
said it was because they were heavier would that somehow justify the other kids on the team
(your DD perhaps?) not hitting as well? If you think the kids need work on their swing then
work with them.

That's a lot of good mechanics at work and film slowed down to show it. What i'm seeing is no where near this refined and they are not using their lower half. I stated there is no significant height /weight variance here to blame it on and DD is in the middle of the pack in hitting. If your implying I don't coach the others, swing work occurs at every practice. The point was to determine if I was missing something in order to improve all. Also it's challenging to address mechanics with girls that hit far with bad mechanics because they have success. Trying to get through to them about how they can improve is taxing since they already have success

Jun 8, 2016
That's a lot of good mechanics at work and film slowed down to show it. What i'm seeing is no where near this refined and they are not using their lower half.
Yes that was a tongue in cheek response to your effortless comment since Jr.'s swing has that appearance to it..I wasn't expecting your 12U hitters to look like Ken Griffey Jr. :D
If your implying I don't coach the others, swing work occurs at every practice. The point was to determine if I was missing something in order to improve all. Also it's challenging to address mechanics with girls that hit far with bad mechanics because they have success. Trying to get through to them about how they can improve is taxing since they already have success

I wasn't implying you don't work with the hitters only that you asking, without any video evidence, how an unathletic kid with a lousy swing can be hitting better than other kids who appear to be more
athletic isn't going to elicit too many useful responses. Like I said, those two girls either have better bat speed,barrel up balls better or both. As to how they mange to do that, without
any sort of video, it is going to be hard for anybody to say anything which will help you.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
Ha! OK, is there a good paper(s) or thread to read to get through the physics of it. It got to be more than long arms and a big bat that let Adam Dunn hit the ball so far. Getting physically stronger obviously helps hit the ball harder. Or it did for me as an adult. How does that factor in?

Sep 19, 2018
Adam Dunn was a huge, country fed man with strength of a Rhino. He was not a very good hitter.

agreed.

This is what I am having trouble wrapping my head around. The disconnect between strength and force applied to the ball at the moment of contact. Perhaps incorrectly, I've never equated pure raw strength directly with bat speed. A guy like Pedroia has ridiculously quick hands but not nearly as strong as Dunn. Are we saying that the weight of the bat is such that Pedroia is not strong enough to move the bat as fast as Dunn?

Jun 8, 2016
agreed.

This is what I am having trouble wrapping my head around. The disconnect between strength and force applied to the ball at the moment of contact. Perhaps incorrectly, I've never equated pure raw strength directly with bat speed. A guy like Pedroia has ridiculously quick hands but not nearly as strong as Dunn. Are we saying that the weight of the bat is such that Pedroia is not strong enough to move the bat as fast as Dunn?

Good mechanics allow you to use the strength of your muscles most efficiently to create good bat speed and a good bat path. With regards to Dunn hitting the ball further (when he actually made contact)
than Pedey then I would say that in those circumstances Dunn's bat speed would have been better than Pedroia's (along with a little help from a probably heavier bat).

The force of the ball-bat collision is basically an impulse load, and can be (approximately) calculated by the change in momentum of the bat (really the bat surface at point of contact) over the short time the bat is contact with the ball . This force is much much
larger than the force the hitter is applying to the bat at contact and hence the force applied by the hitter at contact is of little consequence. Some details of the ball-bat collision force can be found here:

https://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/bats/impulse.htm

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017
Good mechanics allow you to use the strength of your muscles most efficiently to create good bat speed and a good bat path. With regards to Dunn hitting the ball further (when he actually made contact)
than Pedey then I would say that in those circumstances Dunn's bat speed would have been better than Pedroia's (along with a little help from a probably heavier bat).

The force of the ball-bat collision is basically an impulse load, and can be (approximately) calculated by the change in momentum of the bat (really the bat surface at point of contact) over the short time the bat is contact with the ball . This force is much much
larger than the force the hitter is applying to the bat at contact and hence the force applied by the hitter at contact is of little consequence. Some details of the ball-bat collision force can be found here:

https://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/bats/impulse.htm

Wouldn't the no hands home run be an example of what you are saying? Forget who the hitter was so I'll just call it the no hands homer.

Jun 8, 2016
Wouldn't the no hands home run be an example of what you are saying? Forget who the hitter was so I'll just call it the no hands homer.

Yes...no hands on the bat at contact means no force is applied at all by the hitter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2