Hitting help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2019
So my daughter is 11 and I coach our 10u team. She is the big hitter on the team. Worked on batting all winter and looks good. Had our first tournament this weekend and for some reason she wouldn't stride like she normally does. It's her first year on traveling team. Not sure if it's timing or what. She hit every time up to bat, doubles, a triple. I just know she can hit harder though, not sure what to do

May 12, 2016
pattar I feel your pain, all of my DD's old habits came back last night when she was taking live pitching. For years I've heard coaches tell hitters, forget about mechanics when you get to the plate and just focus on hitting the ball, I've told my DD the same thing so she wouldn't over think things,. I'm not sure that's the best advice. Now I don't mean thinking about every little detail in regards to mechanics, but I do believe the hitter needs to focus on sequence with timing first, and then they will be in position to hit the ball most effectively with power. I believe your DD like mine is just thinking hitting the ball as hard as she can.. leads to using the arms more and the bigger muscles less.

Hopefully all the hard work with repetitions will make thoughts of sequence a 2nd nature, but until then I do believe we need remind our DD's in game situations that getting in position to hit the ball is the most important thing, after that hitting is much easier.

I've played a little fast pitch over the years, if my timing and sequence(even though I didn't think much about technical jargon back then, :)) was on, even the fastest pitchers seemed much slower and I was able to hit with power.

In a nutshell, I believe we are experiencing similar issues, getting into the right position before the ball get's there.

May 12, 2016
LOL, weird, for me it's appearing as a new thread(notice the number of replies in screenshot), must be the new site upgrade causing issues.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    5.5 KB · Views: 16
May 24, 2013
So Cal
So my daughter is 11 and I coach our 10u team. She is the big hitter on the team. Worked on batting all winter and looks good. Had our first tournament this weekend and for some reason she wouldn't stride like she normally does. It's her first year on traveling team. Not sure if it's timing or what. She hit every time up to bat, doubles, a triple. I just know she can hit harder though, not sure what to do

She's 11. What to do...Practice.

She may have felt challenged by the pitching speed and felt like she could be quicker by not striding. Just guessing...

Feb 16, 2019

She may have felt challenged by the pitching speed and felt like she could be quicker by not striding. Just guessing...
I agree with that, she did good and was on base with doubles and triples but the hits were nothing like in the cage

Feb 16, 2019

She knows what to do I just think you are right about the pitching. Do I just correct her next time or let her adjust on her own since she was hitting g?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12