Helping daughter with confidence in the outfield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
My 14U daughter recently moved up to a team with a much better level of play and players. Previously, she was one of the better players on her lower-level team, mostly playing catcher and 3rd. Now that she has moved up, she is one of the lesser skilled players and is not going to see much time, if at all, at catcher or 3rd.
Coach has been putting her in right field and she is really struggling. Not only with the skills needed to be a good outfielder, but also confidence. She's playing scared and I can tell that she is so nervous when she is out there. She isn't tracking the ball very well and is just so unsure of herself. Her dad and I have both talked to her about the importance of outfield and how she just needs to find her role on this team and go all out at it, but she's having a hard time getting out of the mentality that being in right field is because she is the worst player on the team and is so down on herself.
She knows everyone on the team and has played with them on and off for years. They are great kids...and are really talented ball players...so she's already saying things like "everyone is so much better than me. They are great and I am bringing them all down" I try to remind her that she used to struggle a lot and be unsure of herself at 3rd base when she first started playing there, but then ended up being a great, solid, confident 3rd basement. She's the kind of kid where it just takes time and a ton of reps to get comfortable and good at a position, but she doesn't understand that.
Any great words of advice or wisdom I could share with her?
The highest paid player in baseball is an outfielder. Mike Trout. I think all you can do is work with her and get her confidence up. Tell her at higher ages more balls get hit to the outfield so better players play the OF.
One of my favorites to motivate my girls is this: The team/chain is only as strong as it’s weakest link. Don’t be that weak link!!!

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
This happens in every city, and at every ballpark in the country. Moms, dads and coaches alike have a hand in under-developing the all-skills of their kids, individual players and teams. Ideally by 14U A/B, with the exception of pitcher or catcher, it shouldn't matter where the athlete is asked to play. By then, there's a level of confidence and performance that can be expected at any position on the field.

There's power in utility.

Of course, there are those situations when your young and are new to a team where there may be some nervous energy or a little self-pressure to perform for your new team. It's those years of prior preparation that can usually make short history of any performance anxiety. Every athlete is always just a little different.

Remember, personal and athletic growth is a product of these experiments. Believe in yourself, your coaches and your teammates. There's a reason your in that lineup today. :giggle:

Chris

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019
He's paid for his bat, not his fielding.
No he is paid for everything. Right now he is more focused on his fielding. He is a great example of what a player should be. Works hard and doesn’t settle for mediocrity.
I watched a show on him recently and he puts his time in and then some. He is focused on becoming a perennial gold glove OF.
If I’m starting a team I’m taking Trout 1st and Judge 2nd. That is of course after I have my pitching Staff set.
Thread was meant to inspire a young player switching positions on a better team. Point being trout is the best all around player in MLB and he happens to be an OF.

May 10, 2019
My 14U daughter recently moved up to a team with a much better level of play and players. Previously, she was one of the better players on her lower-level team, mostly playing catcher and 3rd. Now that she has moved up, she is one of the lesser skilled players and is not going to see much time, if at all, at catcher or 3rd.
Coach has been putting her in right field and she is really struggling. Not only with the skills needed to be a good outfielder, but also confidence. She's playing scared and I can tell that she is so nervous when she is out there. She isn't tracking the ball very well and is just so unsure of herself. Her dad and I have both talked to her about the importance of outfield and how she just needs to find her role on this team and go all out at it, but she's having a hard time getting out of the mentality that being in right field is because she is the worst player on the team and is so down on herself.
She knows everyone on the team and has played with them on and off for years. They are great kids...and are really talented ball players...so she's already saying things like "everyone is so much better than me. They are great and I am bringing them all down" I try to remind her that she used to struggle a lot and be unsure of herself at 3rd base when she first started playing there, but then ended up being a great, solid, confident 3rd basement. She's the kind of kid where it just takes time and a ton of reps to get comfortable and good at a position, but she doesn't understand that.
Any great words of advice or wisdom I could share with her?
I talk to my athletes about acting the way they want to feel. We work on body language nd positive energy. Take a look at this video it will help a great deal.

Oct 4, 2018
No he is paid for everything. Right now he is more focused on his fielding. He is a great example of what a player should be. Works hard and doesn’t settle for mediocrity.
I watched a show on him recently and he puts his time in and then some. He is focused on becoming a perennial gold glove OF.
If I’m starting a team I’m taking Trout 1st and Judge 2nd. That is of course after I have my pitching Staff set.
Thread was meant to inspire a young player switching positions on a better team. Point being trout is the best all around player in MLB and he happens to be an OF.

You crack me up.

He is paid more than others because of his hitting. If his average was .250 his salary plummets.

Why aren't the Gold Glove outfielders paid more than Trout if they're better at fielding than he is? Hmm...

Apr 28, 2019
You crack me up.

He is paid more than others because of his hitting. If his average was .250 his salary plummets.

Why aren't the Gold Glove outfielders paid more than Trout if they're better at fielding than he is? Hmm...
Because he’s a better all around player. Pretty easy to figure out. So your saying he’s the best hitter in MLB? That’s funny how many batting titles has he won? Better to be MVP or runner-up than win a batting title. Your reasoning makes no sense. He is a good hitter but he also gets on base by being selective. And oh by the way he has good speed and can steal bases as well. Best All around player in MLB. Not best hitter.

Jan 22, 2011
This evening I saw a right fielder make two beautiful catches to save runs for her team and hit two doubles to help get her team a PGF berth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802