Help me help my DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2019
This is her first year playing TB and she is 10U level, she turned 11 yesterday. In rec she was consistently 2B and although she does not get on base every at bat she makes contact AB.

She is not the best player and she is not the worst player. If I had to rate her based on the overall talent level of the team, 6/10 right now but have seen her play higher and lower.

It has been a rough 1st season. This is also the 1st season these 14 girls have all played together. Some have played together on other teams but never all of them on the same team.

The first incident happened around the time rec ball started. It was planned that she would play her last spring of 10U rec with the girls she has played with for years, but in order to stack the 12U rec team the president/coach moved all of my DDs friends up to 12U except her. She was crushed, my wife is still crushed, I was angry but have mostly moved on. We were all hurt not because they moved the girls up, but the way they did it. DD is better than some of those girls, not as good as others. She is older and has more experience than most of them. It was all done very sneaky and underhanded and has now affected our relationships with people we thought were friends and has affected my DD friendship with all of the girls that moved up. So much so that she refused to play rec ball at this season.

The next issue is practices....there are no drills, very few game scenarios and they segregate the OF from the infield 95% of the time. Girls that might be practicing different positions in their off time (my DD and at least 1 other girl) get no chance to show they are working and improving in these positions.

Then there is the issue of commitment, the coaches made a big deal at the beginning of the season of being committed to the team and the game and that everything else (sports mostly) needs to be secondary. We understood this and that was what were signing on for. My daughter has sacrificed games and practices for her other activities, missed birthdays for friends and family, and done so willingly. But midway through the season 2 girls are added to the roster that are not starter quality players and barely make contact during ABs, and are consistently late to practice, miss pool games in tournaments, and leave early for other commitments and are never penalized and play 95% of the innings. My DD went from playing every inning every game to being lucky if she sees the field or picks up her bat at all. When she does play she is relegated to LF which creates 2 issues. 1) boredom, very few teams we are playing are hitting the ball into the OF 2) knowledge, she never played OF before she had always played on IF position and the coaches aren't teaching them the OF aside from make the catch.

Is this TB and its not what we were expecting or should I be expecting more from the coaches? I work with her 1:1 as much as I can but there is only so much I can teach when its just the 2 of us.

Should we feel slighted at the lack of playing time? I played baseball if you were bad you didn't play, but you always played before people worse than you and/or people that weren't as committed.

Also the coaches don't seem to put any emphasis on the girls being friends and teammates, just that they are the best players and have a drive to win games.

Mar 6, 2018
You may get crushed on here by some. I won't though. If it's not working be open and honest with the coach. See what the coach says and start preparing to find a better suited home. I know where you're at with rec ball. In my case put that in the back burner and get your dd in the best situation to learn and develop. Get get ahead of the curve in whatever way easiest on you both. Travel isn't for everyone and every coach. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2019
I also failed to mention that times she seems afraid of the ball, I've been trying to break her of trying to make plays to the side of herself but rather to get in front of the ball.

When she isn't doing well for long stretches she gets "tough to coach".

May 1, 2018
So my suggestion for those just stepping into TB, step softbly. Don't jump to the best organization that has all of the trophies. Why? Cause they usually have a goal in mind to build the best team and play the best 9 at all times (if not most of the time). While that is great down the road, first season in TB it will feel terrible. "why am I paying all of this money and my DD isn't playing" Well she was awesome in rec ball....... this isn't rec ball anymore. I would consider starting with a C level team that is focused on development and see where it goes. Take off the parent glasses and see what she actually needs to work on.

Feb 26, 2018
Also, maybe get her into some clinics this summer. She'll meet some new girls, get run through new drills, and get some different coaching than she may be used to. You never know if you have a parent or parents come up to you and say "Hey, we play for such and such team, you should come to our tryouts in a few weeks".

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
If it's not working be open and honest with the coach. See what the coach says and start preparing to find a better suited home. I know where you're at with rec ball. In my case put that in the back burner and get your dd in the best situation to learn and develop. Get get ahead of the curve in whatever way easiest on you both. Travel isn't for everyone and every coach. Good luck

Second year TB parent & coach. First and foremost it is important to know that the move to TB from Rec can be a steep learning curve. In my case, though I realized my DD was behind the power curve, I felt comfortable with the situation and the HC worked very hard to ensure that though my DD didn't get a lot of playing time initially, he was working to develop her, and playing time would come.

I say all of that to say if you aren't comfortable and if you haven't had some productive conversations with the HC, it might be time to look for a better situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812