Hating this HS season so far for multiple reasons.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 29, 2017
Just grin and bear it. DD broke her ankle 5 days before our first game. What should have been a huge year for her is in the toilet. Right now she is going through PT and worse case scenario will be getting release on May 16th. That would put her back the first day of the state tourney if we make it. In only two visits to the PT she is ahead of schedule so hopefully she cuts a couple of weeks off of the timeline.

That sucks about the injury. Good luck with recovery. Hopefully she is back quick.

Oct 21, 2016
Today we reached what I think is the breaking point. Coach said that their game, which they lost 0-1 was disgusting and he was embarrassed. Team had 0 errors, DD pitched and struck out 11 in 6 innings (away game) and gave up 2 hits. We struggled hitting, had 11 SO but 4 hits. It was a pitching dual. Numerous players were talking about how they felt it was a great game and thought they played well and then they get told this. DD2 said her and several others have already said they are not playing next year. DD1 said she is going to talk with AD.
Sorry to hear your at a breaking point. Our family is a the same point. The favoritism is just so crazy by the coach. The girl my DD platoons with had another routine fly ball drop out of her glove last night. She now has 8 errors on 16 chances for the season and coach keeps sending her to RF field. It just makes no sense when both girls have similar hitting stats. HS season is over in 2 weeks and I can't wait.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I don't know anyone who is happy with HS ball, and most everyone just seems to endure it. I'm not sure why people put up with toxic situations that they would quickly run from if it were a regular travel team. It's either good players sitting because of coach favorites, coaches treating it like 7U rec ball, or some "Lord of the Flies" team leadership situation. My favorite is 20-something ex-college ball players put into coaching jobs with HS-age players and having no clue what to do.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I don't know anyone who is happy with HS ball, and most everyone just seems to endure it. I'm not sure why people put up with toxic situations that they would quickly run from if it were a regular travel team. It's either good players sitting because of coach favorites, coaches treating it like 7U rec ball, or some "Lord of the Flies" team leadership situation. My favorite is 20-something ex-college ball players put into coaching jobs with HS-age players and having no clue what to do.
Yup, why would anyone endure it? Heck, freedom is as easy as saying we are out of here! Why not just do it!

Jun 27, 2018
My daughter switched schools and is having a horrible high school experience. Last year she was at a private school with a lot of students. Played every inning of every game on JV as a catcher. Played some varsity during playoffs. Hit like crazy. This year she is in public school. Smaller student population. Barely getting in at DH, sometimes sitting completely. Why? Can’t figure it out. Works her tail off. No attitude. Team has a losing record. Coach just seems not to care much on making changes. Pretty much the same line up as last year. (Also losing record). Both catchers are pretty good. Just seems she can’t impress the coach enough for her to bother to make changes. So she’s not going to displace the current catcher unless she does something extraordinary. I’ll tell you why my daughter stays with it, even though she hates not playing. She likes the girls for the most part and it gives her some practice before she returns to her tournament team this summer. She doesn’t even hate the coach. She’s hoping to eventually impress her enough to get more time. Plus, even though they say college coaches really don’t care about high school ball, she’s afraid it will effect her getting recruited if she doesn’t stick it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 29, 2017
You’re all exactly right. If this situation was happening in a travel team, there would be no team. Here is what I think is the problem. There is a large number of girls that have only played for the school sponsored rec league and the middle school and now high school teams. They have not looked into travel at all. They have NO idea what quality coaching actually is. All they know is this team. They are scared 1) that if they as players or their parents say something they will be retaliated against (which they will, coach has proven that). 2) if they quit and don’t play next year, that means they are not playing at all.

Other parents, even ex coaches have complained about the treatment of the girls and he is still allowed to coach.

DD2, the freshman is now leading the team with a .471 batting average and is batting in the 6 hole. Lead off, who’s father happens to be good friends with the HC is batting .120. Line up of top 3 batters are .120, . 259 and .136.

My wife does GC so we can have correct stats for our DDs. HC was told and we wanted to share with the entire team and all the coaches and HC said he would handle it. Nothing was ever sent out.

All 3 pitchers (which DD2 is one of) have been talking about not returning next year. All 3 play travel. The other travel player has also said she’s probably not returning next year.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Plus, even though they say college coaches really don’t care about high school ball, she’s afraid it will effect her getting recruited if she doesn’t stick it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't be concerned with this. I know lots of recruited/signed kids that sit the bench on their HS teams. College do not recruit at HS games unless it's very close and time permits. They are busy managing their own teams during their season. College coaches are going to watch your kid play at a summer/fall showcase or at a camp. This is where she needs to stand out.

Oct 21, 2016
This post highlights our whole season.
- good players sitting because of coach favorites -
- coaches treating it like 7U rec ball
- some "Lord of the Flies" team leadership situation

Mar 29, 2017
Our HC loves to say that he is preparing the girls to play at the next level and that is his concern, not wins.

In the 3 years we have been at this school, under him coaching and is as long as he has coached for the school, I have never seen a college coach at a game, only know of 1 girl that almost played for a local satellite campus but then dropped our of the school in fall, and we were told by DD1s possible college coach that out school has a reputation for being VERY poorly coached.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Don't be jealous, but DD's HS season and career came to an end last night. One win away from making the playoffs. Coach had no clue as to how to put a line up together. DD had the highest OBP, 3 HR's, second highest BA on them, yet batted 5 or 6 the last half of the year. Meanwhile .200 hitters batting at the beginning of order who couldn't get on base. It took every bit of self control to not talk to the coach about this. We had a good relationship, but I'm not the one getting paid to do her job. We competed agains the best teams in the district yet laid eggs against teams below us. Just a very sad situation. They will not have any pitching or impact players for years to come. This was THE year that could have been special. Cue the sad clown music.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28