Glossary of terms on DFP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
We decided to consolidate several previous posts into one, and to move the list here to be more visible. This is a handy little guide for our new members, so when you see certain terms used on the Forum you'll have a place to look them up.

If you can think of others that should be added, post them below and I will add them to this list. Hope this is helpful!

DFP = Discuss Fastpitch, the name of this forum
DD = Darling Daughter (or some variation) - you can probably guess what DS would be...*
DW = Darling Wife
DGD = Darling Grand Daughter
DH = Darling Husband
DS = Darling Son
HC = Head Coach
AC = Assistant Coach
HS = High School
MS = Middle School
IR = internal rotation, a term used here to describe the arm action used in pitching; for a complete explanation see http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/10321-i-r-classroom.html
HE = hello elbow, pretty much the opposite approach to IR, where the hand turns toward second base, pushes the ball down the back side of the circle, and the elbow ends up pointing at the catcher. Often taught, rarely if ever used by a high-level pitcher.
FP = fastpitch
IMO= in my opinion
IMHO= in my humble opinion
JMHO= just my humble opinion
PC= pitching coach
BTW = By the way
IOW = In other words
FWIW = For what it's worth
GAGA = Goes along to get along (MTR's term for umpires that alter the way they call a game to appease participants)
D3K = Dropped third strike
DMC = Dumb move catcher - unnecessary throw to 1B on D3K (i.e. when batter is already out) that results in runners advancing
PitC = Princess in the Circle (another name for a pitcher who is not a team player)

*More for DD:
  • Dear Daughter
  • Diamond Diva
  • Dollar Drainer
  • Devastating Dynamo
  • Dropball Deliverer

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
You sexist, you. :)

What about Darling Husband? (DH, but that is probably taken in some rule sets that allow a DH)

Maybe better off in today's world as DSO, Darling Significant Other or P1 for Plus 1 :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802