Getting recruited without playing HS ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2016
DD is playing for a travel team that is invited to numerous out of state showcases.

As a freshmen she is already completely fed up with the HS team, mostly because the coach yells at her for not doing it his way, when what he tells her is completely different from what every travel coach, and private coach, has taught her. She doesn't want to put up with three more miserable years of incorrect instruction.

Will not playing HS ball be a mark against her in the recruitment process?

Jun 11, 2012
It likely won’t be a big deal but she may have college coaches ask why she isn’t playing high school ball.
If that happens she’ll need to be prepared to say something other than not liking when the coach yells or that the coach doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Reactions: TMD
Mar 28, 2014
DD is playing for a travel team that is invited to numerous out of state showcases.

As a freshmen she is already completely fed up with the HS team, mostly because the coach yells at her for not doing it his way, when what he tells her is completely different from what every travel coach, and private coach, has taught her. She doesn't want to put up with three more miserable years of incorrect instruction.

Will not playing HS ball be a mark against her in the recruitment process?
This is an interesting situation and one that would seemingly come up a lot. Have you or her talked with the HS coach about it? What is he asking her to do that is different and what is her current success level doing it her way?

May 15, 2016
Have you or her talked with the HS coach about it? What is he asking her to do that is different and what is her current success level doing it her way?

She hasn't talked the coach yet.

She is a catcher. He is telling her to stop popping to her receiving position after giving the signs. He is trying to alter her framing. He is trying to change how she runs the bases. (Though she is a catcher, her travel coach doesn't sub her when she gets on base, because he likes her base running.) The list goes on.

Her current level of success? She tried out for a B team and within a month was moved up to the organization's A team. I don't know if that answers that question.

Mar 28, 2014
She hasn't talked the coach yet.

She is a catcher. He is telling her to stop popping to her receiving position after giving the signs. He is trying to alter her framing. He is trying to change how she runs the bases. (Though she is a catcher, her travel coach doesn't sub her when she gets on base, because he likes her base running.) The list goes on.

Her current level of success? She tried out for a B team and within a month was moved up to the organization's A team. I don't know if that answers that question.
Reason for asking was if she is having great success doing it her way, talk to the coach and explain why she is doing it that way.

I'm catcher ignorant so are these things that she could do for him his way and then switch back to doing things her usual way when the HS season is over without a lot of heartburn?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She is a catcher. He is telling her to stop popping to her receiving position after giving the signs.

I would invite him to watch some NCAA softball on TV...just once. At this point, I can only assume he never has if those are the kinds of things he's instructing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Reason for asking was if she is having great success doing it her way, talk to the coach and explain why she is doing it that way.

I'm catcher ignorant so are these things that she could do for him his way and then switch back to doing things her usual way when the HS season is over without a lot of heartburn?

Popping/shifting to a receiving position typically includes an inside or outside shift for the pitch that was called. Setting up right down the middle for every pitch does not promote efficient receiving...unless the pitch is right down the middle. Also, some catchers will use a secondary stance for blocking/throwing situation. This stance allows the catcher to be quicker for either move. Watch just 1 at bat of any college or pro softball/baseball game, and you will see that the coach has no idea what he's talking about with that instruction.

May 15, 2016

I am not optimistic he is open to suggestions, he knows best about everything.
Having nothing to do with softball, at the end of a practice early in the season my car needed a jump. The JV coach offered his car for the jump. I had set up the cables between the two batteries. He walked over and announced I had set it up wrong, pulled the negative cable off of the engine block, and put it on the negative terminal. I considered telling him to back off, but didn't want to create a scene with him.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28