Gearing Up an 8U Catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
My daughter has played catcher for 2 years now in the local rec league. She'll be 9 next year when the season starts. We've been using a set of gear that the coach has. It's a box store Wilson EZ baseball set. I've been waiting to buy her gear until I was sure she was really interested in the position. She is. As a matter of fact, we're still coach pitch here in 8U, and the coach is a little unhappy that she wants to stay behind the plate all the time as she is usually one of the better gloves and arms on the team, and catcher isn't all that important in coach pitch.

I've started collecting a little bundle together of odds and ends for gear. We have a used Diamond chest protector from "Play it Again," but I spotted a 13.5" Under Armour chest new for under $10 online. It's on the way. I only know 2 things about the UA. It's made by All Star, and the chest protector bends outward and could deflect balls badly. She fits well into the All Star Players Series legs(11.5"), and Academy had those on clearance for $15. I got the Wilson Pro-Shock 2 helmet while the getting was good. The wife was very agreeable to the 50% fewer concussion propaganda by Wilson and the closeout price. It's not the best setup I'm sure, but the position isn't as intense next year as it will be when she hits 10U. That being said, I'm very open to any suggestions where improvement might be made.

My next purchase will probably be the NECC streaming video, and a catcher's mitt. The league allows a regular fielding glove for coach pitch, but I think it'd be a good time to get the feel for one and get it broken in. I'm looking at the Easton Synergy, the All Star 2510, the Mizuno 90, and maybe a Louisville Slugger Xeno(The one with the purple stripe, not the $200 one they've come out with now.). I'm looking for any opinions or experiences with any of those gloves or suggestions for any upgrade. The only experience I have with catcher's mitts is an All Star 1010 that her brother has, and it has been a really good value for the money. This is something I'd like to get this year and have it to move into 10U with the next. Keep in mind that we're only currently in spring rec ball. Am I being to near sited price wise?

Oh, we live an hour and a half from Nocona, Texas, and toured the Nokona glove factory last spring break. It's really neat to see how it's all done. We'll save that brand for much later down the road though.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If it fits well and is in decent condition, that's fine. One of the things I see most in rec ball is catchers with chest protectors that are far too large and flop around like a loose apron. Not only does this hinder efficient movement, but it also leaves the player exposed to a greater chance of injury. A chest protector should fit like a compression shirt - snug to the body.

My catcher-beast at 10yo...
36249591-F5A3-4226-AE91-17B0F6E2E4DF.png_zpska5rmrar.jpeg

Catcher is a highly-athletic position. Efficient movement is important.

As for glove/mitt, go with what she feels comfortable and confident with.

Also...Welcome to DFP. Enjoy the ride :)

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
One of the things I see most in rec ball is catchers with chest protectors that are far too large and flop around like a loose apron
Yes. That's one reason for buying our own gear. The Diamond fits correctly. We'll see about the UA. It was just a good deal.

I've actually read a ton in the catchers forum, so I hope some of it stuck.

Her coach should be happy. I got an 8U coach pitch/kid pitch team and no one wants to play catcher.

It's like some sort of brain damage. She's hooked. Her mom and I have both had knee surgeries, so it's not the direction I was thinking she should go, but what are you going to do? I feel for her sometimes in the Texas heat with all that gear on.

As for glove/mitt, go with what she feels comfortable and confident with.
I wish we had easier access to try stuff on. All we have here is an Academy, and they have one fastpitch catcher's mitt (Louisville Slugger Zephyr). Baseball definitely has the upper hand. We'll have to make a trip down into Dallas I guess.

Anyone know of a good sports store in Dallas area that carries a good selection of softball stuff?

Jon

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
It's like some sort of brain damage. She's hooked.

It's not brain damage. It's the love of being in the action - every pitch - and being a special breed of awesome. It takes guts, and confidence, and determination, and game smarts. All hail the mighty catcher-beast!!...no matter her current size. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802