First Inning Jitters?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
DD pitched tonight in a REC game. She set a few goals for the game. First goal was to get through the first with no score. She did it!
We discussed the strike zone after the first inning and that really helped.
She was pitching against friends and many of their parents have not seen her pitch in months. I thought for sure she would Yip up but she did great.
Totals 4 Innings Pitched. 2 BB's 6 K's and she gave up 2 runs.
I was so proud of her. Tonight I sat back and really relaxed. I felt a level of calm come over me and was not a rail bird :D
It helped her. She made me proud. All I ever really wanted was for her to play her best and have all of the hard work pay off and tonight... it did.
We have 3 games tomorrow. Looking forward to another fun filled weekend.
You guys never told me this sport was so additive. :D

Mar 21, 2013
They know they struggle the first inning because they hear everyone sat that. They also know they are nails from the second inning on because they hear everyone say that. As a result they tend to get too cute to start. Pitch to contact the first inning and settle in. No freebees, make the batter work for it.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Can't hurt to get the other half of the battery involved, maybe some clowning during warmups to keep her loose, maybe something encouraging/humorous/insulting between batters. Whatever works for your kid.
At the least let her know she's not alone out there.

Apr 28, 2014
She struggled today in a TB pool game.
Walked the first batter and gave up 3 runs in the first inning.... all earned.
Second inning she settled down and had a clean inning with 2Ks.
3rd inning was good no runs
4th she struck out the first 2 then third, but a dropped 3rd strike reached. Next batter hit to SS who made a great throw to first.. dropped..
Next batter drove a ground ball (mistake pitch) to left field..
Lost by 1 run.. tough day.
Back on the horse tomorrow.

Feb 7, 2013
One last thing to remember. The first 4 or 5 batters in the lineup are likely the best hitters on the team so giving up a few hits or even runs in the first inning isn't totally unexpected. It's not easy being a pitcher and it's always a work in progress. Get a little better each month throughout the season and things will be fine.

Apr 28, 2014
One last thing to remember. The first 4 or 5 batters in the lineup are likely the best hitters on the team so giving up a few hits or even runs in the first inning isn't totally unexpected. It's not easy being a pitcher and it's always a work in progress. Get a little better each month throughout the season and things will be fine.

Thanks!
Today she came in in the 3rd inning and pitched very well.
She needs to figure out a way get a better start.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802