First base obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2018
Okay I have never heard this before and of course the opposing coach at first says it is a rule.

Runner on first snap throw back from catcher, first baseman is at the lined up in line with the front half of the bag and gets the throw and quickly swipe tags the runner diving back and gets her hand before she gets the bag.

Umpire says no out, first base obstruction on the tag.

Clarification? The girl slid into the swipe tag and for clarification half of the bag was open for the runner to get back to.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
A "path" or a portion of the base being available to the runner is irrelevant. The runner must be given clear access to the base and chosen path at all times. The only exception is if the defender has possession and complete control of the ball prior to any obstruction. If the umpire believed the runner did anything different due to the defender's presence or action without possession of the ball, that is obstruction.

Jan 27, 2019
He did get it mechanically wrong. Signal obstruction, call the out, kill the play and award the base. Technically the defense has the choice of the result of the play or the penalty for obstruction.

IF there were a runner on 2 who advanced to 3 on the play the coach may opt to take the runner on 3 and let the play stand.

May 16, 2012
Missouri
He did get it mechanically wrong. Signal obstruction, call the out, kill the play and award the base. Technically the defense has the choice of the result of the play or the penalty for obstruction.

IF there were a runner on 2 who advanced to 3 on the play the coach may opt to take the runner on 3 and let the play stand.
Where is this in the rules? Coach doesn't get a choice when Obstruction occurs.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Speaking USA and probably other sanctions:

I believe that is only on a catcher's obs when the ball is batted and each runner, including the BR does not advance at least one base does the offense receive an option. 8.1.D.2

May 29, 2015

Whoops! The option is granted to the offense on catcher’s obstruction, not normal obstruction. The defense doesn’t get a choice for something they did.

There is one part of the mechanic you missed ... you reference other runners ... the umpire should place the other runners where they believe (in their judgment) the runners would have ended up.

Personally, I don’t like the “call, kill, call” approach, but that is what we are taught. Obstruction is a delayed dead ball, so you should let the whole play pan out before awarding, IMO. The logic in “call, kill, call” is to avoid arguments while a play is still ongoing. Eh.

Jan 27, 2019
I have been corrected, not sure what I was thinking. No option for obstruction is correct. It is, however, a delayed dead ball so you make the call and let the play finish.

The reason to allow the play to progress is, at least, because the offense has the opportunity to gain more than the result of the penalty.

May 29, 2015
It happens to all of us! ;)

Just curious WVSteven ... what organizations do you do and were you instructed to let the play continue to unfold?

I ask because NFHS and USA are my two primary organizations, and both have instructed us to “call, kill, call” at the local clinics. (Like I said, I don’t agree with that approach.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802