Finch, Abott, Ueno

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
They're creating separation between their hips and shoulders. This causes a stretch that'll snap back like a rubber band as the weight shifts into the FSR. The down side here of teaching this is the student will likely land on her heel. This can create bigger problems like heel, ankle, knee, hip, or lower back injuries. We want our kids to be safe first and foremost. So instead of a 0 degree foot angle like Monica, try baby steps of getting your dd to orientate her stride foot to 30 degrees instead of 45... This will likely produce more separation (overlap) and that'll result in more torque, brush, and speed.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019
This is exactly how my DD lands. I thought this was bad mechanics.. but maybe not? Or are these elite pitcher the exception, not the rule?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is exactly how my DD lands. I thought this was bad mechanics.. but maybe not? Or are these elite pitcher the exception, not the rule?

If 90 degrees is foot pointing at 1B and 0 degrees is foot pointing at home plate, all the good pitchers land with foot at 45 degrees or less.

Here is a video of top NCAA pitchers from 2017. Judge for yourself.

Sep 29, 2014
Granted a lot of these pitchers look less than 45 degree but none of them are straight at least I'm not seeing it, the straight on view would tell, closer to 30 maybe or slightly less but not 0. Zero or straight would seem awkward but maybe that is just me.

Mar 20, 2015
Ueno has knee problems on her stride leg and has changed some of her form to lesson the impact. It seems to be a two edged sword in that the more drive you create and the better the front side resistance the more strain on the lower body.

May 5, 2019
These women (and 1 man) have very small hips. Traditionally women are larger in that area thus need to remain closed at a 45 to clear their hips.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28