Fielders prepare on pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Which is the best way for fielder's to get ready on the pitch? Step in? jump in? rocking, like a tennis player? Down and ready with weight on inside the balls of their feet? Is there a timing mechanism for when to step in? Should all infielders have the same process? Or can one jump in and another step in? Thought? Outfielders?

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Idk what is best because I have not done actual testing. But through the Hansen principle, creeping in is my preference. I also like the hop as the ball crosses the plate but I dont have good luck getting my girls to do that. Some sort of movement is better because it keeps the muscles activated IMO.

Jun 12, 2015
Most of the girls on our team who played together last year hop like Auburn. Some creep. I think HC is ok with either as long as they're ready and not cheating.

Jun 8, 2016
Most of the girls on our team who played together last year hop like Auburn. Some creep. I think HC is ok with either as long as they're ready and not cheating.

Funny thing is, high level IF do cheat a bit before contact based upon where you expect the ball to be hit due to count, pitch type, location, hitter, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm4L8INsYOE&t=0s&index=97&list=PL9njfT6urVcQSvpqpUYadOnbFBsyK5LMh

Funny thing here is that it almost backfired on Panik ;) This isn't really something to use at the younger levels and I am not even
sure at the higher levels in softball if the MI know pitch type, etc.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
Funny thing is, high level IF do cheat a bit before contact. It is hard to explain, and you cannot really teach it, but you will automatically start to move a bit in the direction you expect the ball to be hit based
upon what you are seeing from the hitter during the swing.

We're first year 12U so for most of our girls, if they do cheat, it's toward the bag that's the default to cover and not based on the hitter. We have a couple who know how to shift with the batter but not very many yet.

Jun 8, 2016
We're first year 12U so for most of our girls, if they do cheat, it's toward the bag that's the default to cover and not based on the hitter. We have a couple who know how to shift with the batter but not very many yet.

Right my 10U DD cheats to cover sometimes too..mainly because her coach has her playing too far from the bag and then yells at her if she doesn't get there in time ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802