Feedback - 1st year 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Honestly the big difference I saw was the power/aggressiveness of her swing as mentioned versus the cage hopefully that's a little confidence building up.

Try doing some drill without actually swinging to where all she does is get into this proper position. Front foot comes down but hands are back and hips are coiled. You should be able to tell if the hips are coiling versus just sliding with a couple cues either her belt buckle looking at it straight on it should twist slightly away, if she can actually see where her belly button is pointing it would start straight at 90 degrees properly coiled its actually pointing a little back and actually down a little, she can try putting her hands on her hips if she is sliding they won't move; if she is coiling the back arm will be pointing behind her a little....just little things especially if you video to look for her hands and bat they should just naturally stay back in that position where she does look about right and as a lefty the tip of the bat should be in the general direction of the right file line....keep on working

Oct 18, 2018
Thanks for the advice DFP peeps. Still working on that inner coil, however she's starting to be more consistent with loading and getting her foot down before engaging. Also getting more consistent with getting her hands in. Still has some lag as her bottom arm sometimes locks early (old habits). However, she almost hit one over the CF fence in our national tournament last week (maybe 5-10ft away) and was consistently hitting hard line shots. Seeing definite improvement, will post another video once she gets more consistent with the things noted in this thread. Thanks again for the advice.

ambrosia.moore

brosia18
Jul 17, 2019
Gal's been working hard the past year on her swing (tons of tee and cage time). Had a hard time getting her bat around, still struggles some with sweeping as I call it (or locking early). Coaches have been a big help the past few months. I think this is her best one I have captured. She's starting to get more consistent, but wouldn't mind some experienced trained eyes to look and provide feedback.

ambrosia.moore

brosia18
Jul 17, 2019
Gal's been working hard the past year on her swing (tons of tee and cage time). Had a hard time getting her bat around, still struggles some with sweeping as I call it (or locking early). Coaches have been a big help the past few months. I think this is her best one I have captured. She's starting to get more consistent, but wouldn't mind some experienced trained eyes to look and provide feedback.

ambrosia.moore

brosia18
Jul 17, 2019
I think working on her load when the ball is coming would help greatly! She does load a bit, but it seems like she lifts the bat, but doesn’t shift enough weight back. I also think it would help to have her keep her head down on the ball, and maybe try the “hit” drill. In this drill, you yell “hit” as the ball hits your bat, and it helps focus on keeping your eye on it and driving through. Overall I think she looks pretty good! Just some small fixes and she’ll be even better!!

Oct 18, 2018
Thanks Ambrosia. That's the first video I posted before we started her "hitting transformation". Her load is better now, but trying to burn the "inner coil" of her load into muscle memory (front hip turn / front shoulder) along with getting that lower arm from locking out like you see in the video. Like I said, after about a month of work the kid is beating the crap out of the ball now, and what's exciting is she still has a lot of room to improve which will really elevate her hitting game when she gets there. It's pretty cool seeing it come together in games.

Aug 20, 2017
In first video she is striding slightly closed which causes her to swing around the ball. When you stride closed you don’t have a hand path so the upper body pulls off the ball (to allow a hand path). Stride should be directly at pitcher or slightly open to allow the hands (elbow) to slot properly

Aug 20, 2017
Thanks Ambrosia. That's the first video I posted before we started her "hitting transformation". Her load is better now, but trying to burn the "inner coil" of her load into muscle memory (front hip turn / front shoulder) along with getting that lower arm from locking out like you see in the video. Like I said, after about a month of work the kid is beating the crap out of the ball now, and what's exciting is she still has a lot of room to improve which will really elevate her hitting game when she gets there. It's pretty cool seeing it come together in games.
To get better inner coil you need to work the front knee toward some and ride the coil forward. Like others have said her tempo is fast to fast. We want to be slower I. The beginning

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802