Feedback - 1st year 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2018
Gal's been working hard the past year on her swing (tons of tee and cage time). Had a hard time getting her bat around, still struggles some with sweeping as I call it (or locking early). Coaches have been a big help the past few months. I think this is her best one I have captured. She's starting to get more consistent, but wouldn't mind some experienced trained eyes to look and provide feedback.

Oct 2, 2017
Gal's been working hard the past year on her swing (tons of tee and cage time). Had a hard time getting her bat around, still struggles some with sweeping as I call it (or locking early). Coaches have been a big help the past few months. I think this is her best one I have captured. She's starting to get more consistent, but wouldn't mind some experienced trained eyes to look and provide feedback.

Looks to be dropping the bat and swinging flat. The pull back she is trying to do in the beginning should be happening during the stride. I would have her do the Just in stone drill. And if it was me I would just have her keep the bat in the neck slot and not raise her hands up for now. That should help her learn to stay connected better

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Only lefty girl I could find. Notice difference in the back arm? It’s a form of casting. The cue would be to ‘maintain the angle’ of the back arm until after ‘slot’.

Here’s an inside pitch.

The sequence isn’t bad. Check back in after you fix the back arm. The J stone drill isn’t bad as mentioned by Clemens. I personally like the ‘mike lowell’ drill. Just my personal preference.

Oct 18, 2018
Thanks for the feedback and the video clips. I think I understand what you're all saying. I have been watching the Justin and JD clips the past few weeks. We'll continue to work on it and get some consistency. Seems like she's "almost there".

Not a bad start for 1st year 12 My 1 step would be having her focus on getting a good push off on her back foot and drive her back hip straight towards the pitcher. 2 would be keeping her elbows a little tighter to stomach. These two things will change her swing then once she has mastered that. Repost and it will get more technical

May 12, 2016
Looks to be dropping the bat and swinging flat. The pull back she is trying to do in the beginning should be happening during the stride. I would have her do the Just in stone drill. And if it was me I would just have her keep the bat in the neck slot and not raise her hands up for now. That should help her learn to stay connected better

Sorry Clem this made LOL @ work. I know you mean Justin... but the OP must of been WTH is a "Just In Stone" drill!!

I agree though, great drill for sequence, FYB.

Thanks for the laugh mate :)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm seeing an arm-powered swing. What we want to see is the barrel being turned around the hands, but the arms swinging around the torso/spine. I also get the sense that she wants to create a linear push towards the pitcher, with an all-back/all-forward type of move. It's not as vivid as we see in see young hitters, but I have a feeling it's an underlying intent. This is often a response to coaches instructing kids to "load early". We aren't trying to move weight back in preparation of to push it forward. We want to create stretch/tension to generate suddenness. She struggles with getting her bat around because she's doing it with mechanics that don't generate quick movements.

These are a couple of drills I like for young hitters who are swinging like this young lady to help with proper sequence and the idea of turning the barrel...

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
She is uncoiling (opening) as she strides forward - watch 0:18-0:20. This is backwards, she should be coiling the hips and shoulders inward significantly as she goes forward. I would fix this before anything else. This is causing/promoting several downstream issues like bat drag, etc. (BTW, most kids don't coil inward, so you would be way ahead of the pack)

Maybe one more small, easy thing. Try to not let her hands get any further away from her body (during the stride/stance) than the length of her extended back thumb (literally a rule of thumb).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802