Easton Pro-X Catcher's Helmet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The Easton Pro-X catcher's helmet is a very nice improvement. Prior to it making its way onto the scene, we went with a different alternative worth considering:

DD has the Force 3 Defender Hockey Style Mask V2. I got it for her because of the shock suspension system and the extended cage to protect the forehead. DD has been using this helmet throughout spring tournaments and school ball.

Pros:
  • The shock suspension system works like a parent's dream! While everyone is worrying about the padding saving their athlete's brain, IMO the suspension provides the most shock relief. You can actually hear the difference when there's a foul tip to the center of the mask. Instead of hearing a crack, you can hear the springs at work. DD swears it makes a big difference.
  • IMO, the extended cage to protect the forehead should be included in all catcher helmet designs. Works very well with the shock suspension system.
  • DD loves the helmet because the mask design results in a much wider field of vision. She says she doesn't feel claustrophobic in this helmet and likes how it's easier to see the runner on first trying to steal second.
Cons:
  • The helmet is heavier than most. Just like in the army with their Kevlar helmets, if there's no other choice, you adapt and overcome. DD got used to the weight and now thinks nothing of it. (It helps when her previous helmet was very old and heavy as well.)
  • The chin cup is huuuuge! We wrote Force 3 Pro Gear, and they shipped us a smaller chin cup. Fit much better. Thanks to the Force 3 Customer Service. Top notch!
  • The velcro strips holding the chin cup to the mask doesn't stay on. I eventually removed the strips and replaced with industrial strength velcro with industrial strength adhesive. I'm afraid the chin cup will never come off now.
  • The helmet looks odd at first with the cage sticking out so much. Trust me on this: Looks odd when you're in the family room trying this on, but when you get in a game, nobody cares, except the ones who are wondering what kind of mask that is.
If you're keeping count, I've listed more cons than pros, but qualitatively, the pros significantly outweigh the cons. 4 out of 5 stars. If it dies due to wear and tear, DD will probably buy another. And if stolen, DD will probably hunt down the perp and steal it back and lecture the perp on life choices.

Nice write up!

Force3 does a FANTASTIC job with their impact force reduction design and materials. Unfortunately, I couldn't get my DD to even give it a try because of its looks. Awesome that your DD is using it. :)

ArmyStrong

Going broke on softball
Sep 14, 2014
Pacific NW
Nice write up!

Force3 does a FANTASTIC job with their impact force reduction design and materials. Unfortunately, I couldn't get my DD to even give it a try because of its looks. Awesome that your DD is using it. :)

Crazy thing is that she thinks it looks cool now. I think she likes being the only kid on the block with one of these. Little does she know that these are becoming way more common behind the dish in the MLB parks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45