Dropped Third Strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2011
High school game. Bases loaded, 2 outs. Catcher drops strike 3. Could she touch home plate for the force on R3 for the third out or does she have to tag batter/throw to 1B for the third out?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
High school game. Bases loaded, 2 outs. Catcher drops strike 3. Could she touch home plate for the force on R3 for the third out or does she have to tag batter/throw to 1B for the third out?

She can touch home plate.

Apr 28, 2019
Good question. I believe the dropped 3rd strike only applies if 1st base is open. If there is a runner on 1st I believe there is no play just a strikeout. Anyone out there please School me if I’m ignorant to the correct question. That is my understanding.

Apr 28, 2019
With two outs it doesn't matter who is where (on the bases).
Yes correct. With less than two outs 1st base needs to be open. With 2 outs all bets are off. So that leads me to believe in a bases loaded situation a force at any base ends the inning. Catcher steps on plate inning over.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I've got a good one for ya...
Bases loaded 2 strikes, 2 outs visitor up by one in the last inning, and the home team is batting.

Dropped 3rd strike... catcher scoops it up skip steps and fires it to first. The throw is really high and goes into right field. Two runs score and the crowd is going nuts!

The Umpire is standing between the plate and pitcher's circle with his fist raised making the out sign. He's been trying to get everyone's attention, but the crowd and home dugout went so wild that no one heard or noticed him.

It turns out that the catcher stepped on the plate while making the throw to first for a force out- Game over!

The catcher never knew she made the play & had no idea there was an easy force at the plate. She just dumbed her way into making the final out and preserving the win.

Funny stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse