Drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Can someone please explain the purpose of this drill (no video just pics):
2zs72fc.jpg

715ulw.jpg

Is this the 'goal':
jpkdgx.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Can someone please explain the purpose of this drill (no video just pics):
2zs72fc.jpg

715ulw.jpg

Is this the 'goal':
jpkdgx.jpg

The drill, as I learned it, originated from Pat Murphy of Alabama. I refer to the drill as the “Alabama Drill”.

There are multiple feels that can be extracted from the drill.

For example, note that the rear board is a bevel (i.e., slanted downward). This will help a hitter learn to ‘get on the hill’ so to speak … i.e., to weight their rear leg for the purpose of going ‘forward’, as opposed to ‘staying back’.

Notice that the height of the front block of wood is roughly the height of where the rear foot is placed … they are basically level, in terms of height, from the hitter’s perspective in their stance. The hitter steps forward / coils forward / strides forward … and when they do, the front foot will come down to a lower height. A feel you want to extract from this is the feel of “going forward while staying back”. Often the rear hip will flex during this ‘move out’ … and that ‘feel’ of ‘going forward while staying back’ is the feel to be extracted.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The drill, as I learned it, originated from Pat Murphy of Alabama. I refer to the drill as the “Alabama Drill”.

There are multiple feels that can be extracted from the drill.

For example, note that the rear board is a bevel (i.e., slanted downward). This will help a hitter learn to ‘get on the hill’ so to speak … i.e., to weight their rear leg for the purpose of going ‘forward’, as opposed to ‘staying back’.

Notice that the height of the front block of wood is roughly the height of where the rear foot is placed … they are basically level, in terms of height, from the hitter’s perspective in their stance. The hitter steps forward / coils forward / strides forward … and when they do, the front foot will come down to a lower height. A feel you want to extract from this is the feel of “going forward while staying back”. Often the rear hip will flex during this ‘move out’ … and that ‘feel’ of ‘going forward while staying back’ is the feel to be extracted.

Thank you for all that good and useful info.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Alabama Drill follow-up ..... sometimes the ramp/bevel portion can slide around a bit ... a make shift way to deal with that is to place a heavy cement block behind the ramp/bevel.

315ztba.jpg

Oct 19, 2009
South Alabama Baseball Top Drop Drill | STACK

We do this frequently and add a level. Using lite flights we call out "fast" and the batter has to hit the ball on the way down, call out "change" and the batter has to let the ball bounce then hit it.

I do the same drill, only I add a take, to teach a proper take, call change to hit after it bounces off the home plate or concert.

I have the hitter look at where the pitcher should be and observe by Peripheral vision, when I lift my wrist the hitter use this a Q to begin the load, switch vision from pitcher to the ball being dropped and then I drop the ball, then I call out, hit, change or take, IMO it helps with bat speed. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802