Do you ever stop working on basic mechanics??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2019
DD had a late start with pitching. Started at 13. She is going to be 15 this fall. So she has two years under her belt. We are realists, and have no ambitions on going D1, etc. Don’t get me wrong, she has potential to be a good pitcher later in high school, and is doing a decent job right now. Still lacks really good accuracy, however. Her mechanics are pretty good. But, I just want to know how long does one continue to work on basic mechanics? The thing that is biting us in the rear, is her back leg being an anchor. She just isn’t getting it through. And she flattens that push foot where her heel touches the ground when she throws curves, screws, or change ups. I don’t know what to do to fix it.

I watch these 11,12,13 year olds and they have horrible mechanics, but can manage to keep the ball over the plate well enough for strikes. No movement, not fast, but just get it over. I mean, have I done my kid wrong by focusing so much on mechanics that she is getting behind younger pitchers whose mechanics suck, but can throw strikes?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Her mechanics are pretty good. But, I just want to know how long does one continue to work on basic mechanics? The thing that is biting us in the rear, is her back leg being an anchor. She just isn’t getting it through. And she flattens that push foot where her heel touches the ground when she throws curves, screws, or change ups. I don’t know what to do to fix it.

You probably aren't going to like this answer....

Don't waste time trying to teach your DD a curve or a screw. Very few D1 pitchers throw a curve, and the curves they do throw suck. Screwballs are a figment of the softball collective's imagination.

My poor DD had two pitches...a fastball and a drop. She was D1 all-conference. Mariano Rivera, arguably the greatest reliever in the history of MLB, had two pitches. Bob Gibson, arguably the greatest pitcher EVER had two pitches--a fastball and a slider.

So, forget the pitches...work on mechanics and control.

You want help? You have to post a video.

If your DD is having control problems, my bet is that she does not have good brush interference. No brush interference, no control. But, again, you need to post a video.

Jun 22, 2017
As a coach I fear a pitcher who has 2 great pitches. My preference would mainly be fastball and changeup. If she can consistently locate those 2 pitches and mechanics look the same, she will be successful and can build from that base. Make those 2 pitches great and then increase. But not until. Enjoy the journey. If she isn't buying into only having 2 pitches, there are plenty of videos out there of batters looking silly when expecting a fastball and they see a perfectly placed changeup.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
To answer your original question..... NEVER
Never stop perfecting mechanics.
These 10 and 12 year olds you mention are good examples of "good enough for right now" kids... they can be somewhat accurate with bad mechanics because they've spent countless hours practicing. However the sad truth is most of them will peak at 12u or may have a little success in HS... but as they get older, the girls who have clean mechanics will most likely be injury free, faster, more spin, and will have a really good ability to spot the ball.
As far as your dd is concerned, please post a video of her pitching from a few different angles. There are several members here that will be glad to help.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Once the necessary mechanics have been mastered and are established in muscle memory then only a quick refresher is needed. If those basics slip then you have to go back and reestablish them.

May 25, 2019
Side view mechanics

I think this link will work. I’m sure there are some issues with her mechanics, but this is what practices look like. I won’t even post one from of her in the game last night. The mechanics were just absolutely terrible, as were the pitches.

In the games she drags her drive foot like a anchor, twists around, sticks her butt out to avoid contact with her arm, etc. She doesn’t do that crap in practices.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Actually, she isn't as bad as you might think.

You have to get her arm motion fixed. That is causing most of problems.

The basics of the arm motion:

1) Your DD needs to *PULL* the ball around the circle. Her hand should be behind the ball at 12 and under the ball at 9. From 12 to release, her elbow should lead her hand. Your DD desperately needs some bend in her elbow.

2) She has to internally rotate her forearm during the release phase. Her hand should end up palm down with the arm extended toward the pitcher. While I prefer "palm down", this is also called "the magician" finish, the zombie arm finish, the "princess hand" , etc.

The drills to do this are in the first few posts of the "IR in the Classroom Thread". That thread is literally a gold mine for pitching.

The drills your DD needs to do are:

(1) The lock it drill
(2) the unlock it drill
(3) the magician drill.

Attachments

• amanda-9.JPG
    amanda-9.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 13
  • scarboough12.JPG
    scarboough12.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 15
  • magician-release.JPG
    magician-release.JPG
    5.1 KB · Views: 15
Feb 19, 2016
Texas
Actually, she isn't as bad as you might think.

Concentrate on this. ^^^
Think of it as a few tweaks. Though you may not have been practicing/learning as efficiently as you might like, it's a marathon. Try to enjoy the journey.
Don't feel bad for your DD when she has someone who will work with her and put in the time and research that you do to help her achieve. Most girls out there don't have a parent with that type of commitment.

Sep 19, 2018
Like Sluggers said, it is not as bad as you think. Most of the PCs in my area are teaching palm down at 9:00. Then through to HE. uuuggggg. I going to give the benefit of the doubt to your PC. I doubt your PC is teaching your DD a different method than all of his other students. Your dd is staying inside the ball. Right or wrong, he probably likes what he sees enough that he is focusing on other things.

My daughter is seeing a tincher PC. Her PC wants palm up, but right or wrong, is not forcing it right now.

May 25, 2019
Like Sluggers said, it is not as bad as you think. Most of the PCs in my area are teaching palm down at 9:00. Then through to HE. uuuggggg. I going to give the benefit of the doubt to your PC. I doubt your PC is teaching your DD a different method than all of his other students. Your dd is staying inside the ball. Right or wrong, he probably likes what he sees enough that he is focusing on other things.

My daughter is seeing a tincher PC. Her PC wants palm up, but right or wrong, is not forcing it right now.
I agree with your assessment. We love our PC. He is very big on doing what works for each individual girl and their abilities, such as arm speed, as well as factors in their body size, strength, etc. Even if we aren’t quite there yet, I don’t believe he has done us wrong. We just need to “tweak” some things like another member said.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478