Defensive shifts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 10, 2019
Do people pull fielders in for bases loaded situations like baseball? trying to keep the runner at third from scoring?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Do people pull fielders in for bases loaded situations like baseball? trying to keep the runner at third from scoring?

I will if preventing that single run is really important.

A lot of times I just have the corners/pitcher going home, MIF will take an easier out.

May 17, 2012

I don't do it. This isn't baseball our IF is already playing in. Having them play in even closer cuts down our ability to get to balls we would normally get to.

Apr 6, 2019
The last two years coaching 12U, we have played our RF EXTREMELY shallow almost all the time, using spray chart data that bloop singles or bouncing grounders to short RF/CF are dramatically more common than scorching line drives/fly balls to deep RF.

We station the RF about midway between 1B and 2B, about 50 feet back of the baseline (20-30 feet onto the grass). We use a rotation system in which our RFs are almost always primarily infielders, we switch them off to RF for 2-3 innings at a time. So effectively our RF is a deep infielder.

Last year in 32 games, our RFs had nearly an assist per game -- either throwouts at first or nailing runners at second. They also caught plenty of Texas Leaguer sinking fly balls that would drop in front of an RF playing deep. All season long we only gave up four solidly-hit fly balls that went over the RF's head: two were in garbage-time situations when we were already way ahead, and one, our RF made a Willie Mays-style full-throttle over-the-shoulder catch.

We only very rarely saw LH hitters: a total of only a half-dozen or so all season. We did have the RF back up about 8 steps for the LH hitters.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
That would not work against the teams we play. More balls to r and rc than left due to speed of pitching and being late. We throw outside a lot too. Nice job though using the data to help your team

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598