Deciding starting pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 6, 2019
The one who throws strikes and gives your defense a chance to work

Ding ding ding -- this!!

Non-stop walkathons are no fun for anybody, not even the opposing team. Nobody gets to make any plays on either offense or defense.

Whoever throws strikes will be the main pitchers.

Oct 4, 2018
I'm in charge of pitchers for our 10U travel team. C+ last year, B this year. I agree with the above, and add:

1. Warm them all up with standard warm-up drills and then about 5 fastballs and 2 change-ups before the first game. This gives you a feel for how they're doing that day. Every day is different.

2. We have 4 girls who want to pitch so each one gets to pitch. This is about development, not winning games.

3. We pitch a girl one inning and switch in the pool games. That helps us develop them all equally, tends to prevent burn-outs in the middle of an inning, and keeps the other team on their toes.

4. I give them a long leash in pool games. If they hit 2-3 batters, I'll pull them. If they walk 4 in a row, I'll pull them. Luckily neither of these happen often.

5. Bracket games go to the girl(s) who pitched best in pool games. That tends to be the same two each week but can change when one is "off" and others are "on". And in bracket games, we'll ask them to pitch 2-3 innings.

6. If we're in a game where we're down 8+ or up 8+, I tend to let the "less accomplished" girls pitch more. Good to get them more reps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee