Debate on official tourney winner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2017
Ok so this past weekend my team played in a double elim tournament...won our first bracket game and lost our second, the team we played that beat us also had one win one loss...the other team still in it was the top seed, my team was 3rd and the other was 2nd....anyway we still had more games to play because of the double elim but......the top seed team packed up and left leaving only 3 players and 2 coaches 10 mins into the game I ref above that we lost...anyway....when our game finished 65 mins after the top seed kids left, the tourney was called due to incoming weather....keep in mind the top seed team packed up and left an hour before the tourney was called stating they would forfeit their upcoming game anyway.....in the end the top seed team still received 1st place and us third...I don’t agreee with that at all..am I wrong? Also let me add...I’m not just irritated Because we didn’t place second and get a trophy I’m more irritated that team that beat us in that last game wasn’t awarded first place because the other team had left

Jun 12, 2015
Did they miss a game by leaving? If not, they were still the top seed. I don't think there's any rule that you can't leave the park. A team still in the winner's bracket isn't going to lose so a team in the loser's bracket can win. That doesn't make any sense.

May 6, 2017
We were all in the same bracket, they were anticipating the tournament getting cold so as soon as our game finished it was time for them to play and they only had three kids there and then they called the tournament

Oct 4, 2018
If they officially forfeited the game, they're out. But if they guessed right and left before the game was officially forfeited, I'd think they still win.

I know we all like to win tournaments, girls included, but winning one that didn't even finish wouldn't be a trophy I'd care all that much about.

Jun 12, 2015
If they officially forfeited the game, they're out. But if they guessed right and left before the game was officially forfeited, I'd think they still win.

I know we all like to win tournaments, girls included, but winning one that didn't even finish wouldn't be a trophy I'd care all that much about.

Amen. A default, rain-out win doesn't mean much of anything.

May 6, 2015
yeah, DDs team won a "tournament" couple seasons ago that second day was rained out, we won on points (ie we would have been top seed on sunday). kinda empty getting the plaques mailed to team two weeks later.

Sep 29, 2014
I think the answer is it depends. I'd like to actually see the bracket because I'm not sure it's very clear, was it a five team bracket with bye? I think the biggest question is did the tournament director actually call the tournament or were they going to still play the games. The easiest thing to do in these situations assuming the TD has not stopped the tournament is play out the games. If that team was supposed to play and left you give them the loss via forfeit and theother team advances in the bracket, the team that forfieted goes to the losers bracket and then forfiets the next game. If the TD calls the tournament for weather and the team that left was undefeated at the time and the other teams had at least one loss they would be the winner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802