DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Interesting how movement patterns dictate priorities... Some more barrel centric are seeking a swing path while other patterns are seeking positions..

5WQvT0O.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Personally I don't understand why a guy goes through these sequences day in, day out for no reason whatsoever.. if the practice swings are so vastly different than game swings, why practice like that? Practice your game swing... Just another ignorant Pro I guess

We could choose the other option. Since these videos are so awesome, just show them to your daughter or other students and don't provide any context whatsoever. Let me know how that works out for you.

May 12, 2016
We could choose the other option. Since these videos are so awesome, just show them to your daughter or other students and don't provide any context whatsoever. Let me know how that works out for you.
It doesn't work out, I tried that with several other TTB vids from the man himself.. didn't work.
I never said anything about these videos being awesome, <edit>but they are awesome</edit>, learning perspective, what they train on, and advice from the best hitters in the world is pretty freaking awesome! Some of these videos look pretty practical to me, hardly "feel". But wth do I know, I'm not one the best hitters in the world.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
It doesn't work out, I tried that with several other TTB vids from the man himself.. didn't work.
I never said anything about these videos being awesome, <edit>but they are awesome</edit>, learning perspective, what they train on, and advice from the best hitters in the world is pretty freaking awesome! Some of these videos look pretty practical to me, hardly "feel". But wth do I know, I'm not one the best hitters in the world.

Things do not always have to be extreme one way or the other. Some days the sky is partly cloudy (not sunny / not rainy). There is nothing wrong with the pro conversations, understanding their thought processes, or even trying their drills. I for one use the Ryan Braun drill quite often. But these things are much more effective when the hitter understands the "why" behind the "how". Same goes for TM's stuff. Some people are achieving great results with his teachings. That's awesome for them. If others can find great results through other sources, that's great for them as well.

May 12, 2016
Things do not always have to be extreme one way or the other. Some days the sky is partly cloudy (not sunny / not rainy). There is nothing wrong with the pro conversations, understanding their thought processes, or even trying their drills. I for one use the Ryan Braun drill quite often. But these things are much more effective when the hitter understands the "why" behind the "how". Same goes for TM's stuff. Some people are achieving great results with his teachings. That's awesome for them. If others can find great results through other sources, that's great for them as well.
I didn't say that it has to be black or white. And they don't have to be classified as either "feel vs real" either. I'm not discounting these hitters because what they practice don't match their actual swing, same thing goes for TM. But when you have posters who say the pros have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to their swing, yes I have questions. Again, they literally practice what they are talking about thousands and thousands of times... and they think about their approach before each game, each bat, each swing etc.. the result is their game swing. That's no small thing to dismiss IMHO. I am more interested in what they do to achieve their game swing, not just trying to reproduce a result. Where's the understanding and knowledge in that?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I didn't say that it has to be black or white. And they don't have to be classified as either "feel vs real" either. I'm not discounting these hitters because what they practice don't match their actual swing, same thing goes for TM. But when you have posters who say the pros have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to their swing, yes I have questions. Again, they literally practice what they are talking about thousands and thousands of times... and they think about their approach before each game, each bat, each swing etc.. the result is their game swing. That's no small thing to dismiss IMHO. I am more interested in what they do to achieve their game swing, not just trying to reproduce a result. Where's the understanding and knowledge in that?

I must have missed the bold above. My apologies... I didn't see any such claims. I did personally make the comment that Arod has no clue what a ferris wheel is, and I stand by that comment. I have no issue with him talking about his own swing thoughts, but he shouldn't misrepresent something that he doesn't understand.

May 12, 2016
I must have missed the bold above. My apologies... I didn't see any such claims. I did personally make the comment that Arod has no clue what a ferris wheel is, and I stand by that comment. I have no issue with him talking about his own swing thoughts, but he shouldn't misrepresent something that he doesn't understand.
Whether it was said or not, it was most certainly implied, I don't recall you having done such a thing.

Jun 8, 2016
I've said this before, show me a swing "theory"/feel/drills/etc that takes a crappy swing and makes it into something good and I am sold. While interesting, showing me what pros do to maintain a swing which, with maybe some slight changes, had them hit .500 in HS, doesn't sell me on anything.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Whether it was said or not, it was most certainly implied, I don't recall you having done such a thing.

My stance is this...

I enjoy listening to the interviews with the pros and watching how they perceive the swing. I then try to reconcile their thoughts with my own thoughts to see how similar or different they are. I will not take anything someone says verbatim and blindly follow them just because they said so.

May 12, 2016
My stance is this...

I enjoy listening to the interviews with the pros and watching how they perceive the swing. I then try to reconcile their thoughts with my own thoughts to see how similar or different they are. I will not take anything someone says verbatim and blindly follow them just because they said so.
That's a good practice IMO... but when you have quite a few of best hitters in the world saying/practicing the same thing, that data becomes more convincing. Should you follow them blindly, no, (next comment not directed at you), but maybe need to be more open minded/understanding instead of trying to poke holes

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog