DD had two awesome throws to nail runners from 1st stealing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
got neither one out, SS (different player each time) bobble ball each time. first year 12u.

but throws were spot on, pretty much everyone, even opposing coaches, commented on the throws. and after the first one (DD only caught last half of game), he got much more selective on who he sent. second one put tying run on second with two outs, they were getting desperate.

downward trajectory from when it left her hand, about head high when it crossed circle (P kneeling, I always tell her to take the Ps head off with the throw), one hop, hit SS in glove or abdomen, about 18 inches high, right as it crossed bag. would have had both runners dead to rights if caught. when I yell how great throws were, as she moves back into position, she is nodding and smiling at me (makes it all worth it).

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Still happens routinely with our SS in 16U. Drives my DD nuts. The SS is a great hitter and the fastest on our team, so she never sits the bench, but it is super frustrating to see perfect throws and she can't put down the tag on time or bobbles/drops the ball.

Sep 29, 2014
Another pet peeve, people covering second on a steal reaching forward to catch a ball that is coming right to the bag then trying to reach back for the tag. Just let the ball come to the bag and put your glove down in front of the bag or on the runner.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Another pet peeve, people covering second on a steal reaching forward to catch a ball that is coming right to the bag then trying to reach back for the tag. Just let the ball come to the bag and put your glove down in front of the bag or on the runner.

Yep. Learning to let the ball travel is an important concept for a young player to understand.

May 6, 2015
DD had SSs on her TB and rec team that would move towards circle to catch ball in air (DD routinely one hops them, she is trying to throw on a rope with no arc). had to really get them to understand that they should wait, even if it means they miss the ball because:

1 - C is only (you hope) only throwing to catch lead runner, so i is not like missing the ball is going to give any other runner extra bases

2 - if 2B and CF are doing their job, plenty of backup, no way is that BR stealing 2B gonna think of taking 3B if everyone does their job (ie ball does not get into grass)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802