DD got The Talk yesterday

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
After a couple of days of rain, DD's middle school team has had to move practices to the gym. At one point, coach separated the pitchers and catchers to do some throwing work. DD reported throwing well, she even got a little work on her curve, a new pitch for her.

Afterwards, the coach calls her over and suggests that she needs to be pointing the ball to the outfield at 12 o'clock. She also suggested standing against a wall to straighten out her arm circle. DD listened patiently, and then explained what she's doing with her mechanics (she's a Tincher student). Luckily, we're nine weeks into the season with only one week left, so it sounds like they agreed to disagree (she's a good coach, just has some old-fashioned ideas about pitching).

There's only one other pitcher on the team, so I don't think it's going to effect her playing time at all. I know the common advice on this board has been to say "Yes, coach" and then continue doing what you do. Has anyone's DD had success being open with an HE coach, and telling them that they're going to stick with their own approach?

May 17, 2012
In school ball I am not a fan of the, "smile and say yes coach" for a couple of reasons.

1. As a coach I can always see through this and it's condescending.
2. It undermines the coach in other facets of the game (where the coach may be correct).
3. It's possible your pitching coach is a moron.

I would instead use it as an opportunity to discuss with your daughter why you do it the way you do instead of focusing on why coach is wrong.

It's a fine line...

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Has anyone's DD had success being open with an HE coach, and telling them that they're going to stick with their own approach?

No.

People have tried PowerPoints, videos, pictures and even offered to let the coach talk to their PC. Nothing works.

This is the first in a long line of well-intentioned people trying to give your DD advice.

"Smile and nod" is simply a way for your DD to politely say, "No."

3. It's possible your pitching coach is a moron.

It is not possible that her pitching coach is a moron. She goes to Tincher. He is definitely not a moron.

Nov 8, 2018
After a couple of days of rain, DD's middle school team has had to move practices to the gym. At one point, coach separated the pitchers and catchers to do some throwing work. DD reported throwing well, she even got a little work on her curve, a new pitch for her.

Afterwards, the coach calls her over and suggests that she needs to be pointing the ball to the outfield at 12 o'clock. She also suggested standing against a wall to straighten out her arm circle. DD listened patiently, and then explained what she's doing with her mechanics (she's a Tincher student). Luckily, we're nine weeks into the season with only one week left, so it sounds like they agreed to disagree (she's a good coach, just has some old-fashioned ideas about pitching).

There's only one other pitcher on the team, so I don't think it's going to effect her playing time at all. I know the common advice on this board has been to say "Yes, coach" and then continue doing what you do. Has anyone's DD had success being open with an HE coach, and telling them that they're going to stick with their own approach?

Yup. Her travel team assistant coach has said somethings to my dd that doesn’t make sense for an IR pitcher. She politely says yes coach and thank you. I’ve gone to him to show him a little about how we release the ball then gave him some things to look for that my dd does wrong periodically to help her. Fortunately he’s not a pitching coach per se and it went fine. Not to mention I told him we were learning a new style over the winter. He has seen the DRAMATIC improvement. So questioning what she is doing, I believe, he realizes is not the right course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Illinois
There is one week left. Smile and nod for the time being. If the problem continues next year then you should show the coach a few slow-motion videos of how the best pitchers in the world throw underhand.

Generally what happens is the coach went and watched some youtube videos on how to pitch, and he thought it would be a good idea to share the info that he watched on youtube with your daughter. He had no idea the YouTube is full of crap videos of softball pitching. Even worse is he watched the Jennie Finch Hello Elbow videos, now you got one of the best all time pitchers incorrectly instructing how to throw windmill.

Jul 14, 2018
It is not possible that her pitching coach is a moron. She goes to Tincher. He is definitely not a moron.

Just to clarify, she goes to a Tincher-certified instructor, not to Denny himself. She's done a few clinics with him and enjoyed them, we're looking forward to the next time he rolls into town.

Jul 14, 2018
... I told him we were learning a new style over the winter. He has seen the DRAMATIC improvement. So questioning what she is doing, I believe, he realizes is not the right course.

Sounds like you have a good coach!

Nov 8, 2018
Sounds like you have a good coach!

He was a little thick headed early on but when she began to majorly improve he pretty much stopped questioning what we were doing.
He is a good guy though for sure.

Oct 4, 2018
Some coaches are relieved to find you have a pitching coach and professional help and they can then focus on other parts of the game and other players.

I do hope coaches see results and leave things alone. My daughter is doing Tincher, so I expect some of this in her future.

Nov 8, 2018
Some coaches are relieved to find you have a pitching coach and professional help and they can then focus on other parts of the game and other players.

I do hope coaches see results and leave things alone. My daughter is doing Tincher, so I expect some of this in her future.

No doubt.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28