Dating ads?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The moderators keep telling us that the ads are based on browser history, but I think that is a line of BS that the company placing the ad fed them...

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Not going to cry about ads on the site, they pay the bills and are fairly innocuous, but I think it's a little off to advertise 18-27 year old women available to date on a forum about youth sports for young women.
If it's possible to filter out certain categories of ads, I think it would be better.

That's not as bad as the carni' dating ads. I mean, well yeah, as sexy as most carnies are, I don't think "Carni'-Hook-Up.com" is appropriate for this forum!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
The moderators keep telling us that the ads are based on browser history, but I think that is a line of BS that the company placing the ad fed them...

Actually not BS. Facebook was really one of the big pioneers of "contextual advertising." Google does a lot of it too. When you go to different websites, pay attention to what pops on the side.

For example, if I search for plastic sheds (which I did recently), all of a sudden I start seeing ads for plastic sheds on all these sites that have nothing to do with home improvement. But somewhere in my browser history, either on my computer or out in the cloud, that says "This guy looked for plastic sheds. Show some to him."

Some companies are better at it than others. The goods ones show you things you've looked for or things like the things you've looked for. The lesser ones take some of that information and take a guess at what you'd like based on your history and the history of people who look at the same things. It's just an unfortunate fact of life in the Internet age. I don't think this site uses a particularly good service given the weird stuff I see, but that's above my pay grade.

The thing is, the site running the ads gets paid when people click on them. If they're too far off base nobody makes money, and then the site either needs to change advertising partners or live with not generating any revenue. Not much point in having ads if they're not generating revenue and they are irritating the people who frequent the site.

So block them, or don't click on them and perhaps the content will improve over time. I doubt too many would complain about ads that showed you how to save $50 on the latest and greatest model of their $400 bat. Someone must be clicking on those dating ads!

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
I get ads for auto insurance, grocery stores and "Only you can prevent forest fires" from Smoky Bear. Might want to scrub your cookies and browsing history.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Actually not BS. Facebook was really one of the big pioneers of "contextual advertising." Google does a lot of it too. When you go to different websites, pay attention to what pops on the side.

I know some DFP members here are going this find this hard to believe, but I am certain that NO ONE has ever searched for Chinese or Russian girlfriends on this computer....

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I know some DFP members here are going this find this hard to believe, but I am certain that NO ONE has ever search for Chinese or Russian girlfriends on this computer....

That one made me laugh.

It's all about the algorithms the ad services use. Some are better than others. The better ones will show you reasonable content. The lesser ones can be pretty random. Maybe you read an article about Putin, and then look up something about NPF and they somehow put it together that you are interested in Russians and you are interested in women so you must be interested in Russian women. I see enough ads here that at least make some sense for me that I doubt they're totally random. That just wouldn't make sense in the pay-per-click world we live in.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
That one made me laugh.

It's all about the algorithms the ad services use. Some are better than others. The better ones will show you reasonable content. The lesser ones can be pretty random. Maybe you read an article about Putin, and then look up something about NPF and they somehow put it together that you are interested in Russians and you are interested in women so you must be interested in Russian women. I see enough ads here that at least make some sense for me that I doubt they're totally random. That just wouldn't make sense in the pay-per-click world we live in.

Or that you spend all day thinking about softball, your wife left you last month and you did not notice, so you need a social life - "Hey check out these lonely women." :)

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Or that you spend all day thinking about softball, your wife left you last month and you did not notice, so you need a social life - "Hey check out these lonely women." :)

Come to think of it, it has been a few tourney's since I saw the ball and chain. thought she was just shopping a lot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802