Curious. For Large D1 Programs, how many walk-on's do they carry on roster?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
Seems like Rosters running between 20 to 25 players. How many typically were recruited, vs walked on?
Depends on a lot of things including things like Hope scholarships. If the school is in a state with no lottery scholarships it will be few. If girls can get school 1/2 paid for by their HS grades in a home state school they are more likely to walk on.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Jun 17, 2014
DDs school had 25 on the roster. it was my understanding that there were two recruited walk ons and 2 that walked on after the school year started. i have no idea how many scholarships her school has available.

Sep 29, 2014
yeah you have to define walk on. True walk-ons in the sense of coach has a couple days in the fall of open tryouts and someone they have never seen or heard of earns a spot on the team probably not many. Now girls that are not on athletic scholarships probably plenty, if they qualify for academic money and probably a few "preferred walk ons" who were told no promises but if there is any kind of opening from non returning, injury or other reasons they will be first on the coaches list to get the open spot and ifn they really impress coach might make room.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
yeah you have to define walk on. True walk-ons in the sense of coach has a couple days in the fall of open tryouts and someone they have never seen or heard of earns a spot on the team probably not many. Now girls that are not on athletic scholarships probably plenty, if they qualify for academic money and probably a few "preferred walk ons" who were told no promises but if there is any kind of opening from non returning, injury or other reasons they will be first on the coaches list to get the open spot and ifn they really impress coach might make room.
Any player on the roster who is not receiving an athletic scholarship is a walk-on. Preferred walk-ons are recruited, have guaranteed roster spots, and travel with the team. Regular old-school walk-ons show up and try out. Each program is a little bit different.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802