critique my 9yo DD swing...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
The bent rear knee is causing most of the swing problems.

She should stride with her rear leg until her back knee almost fully straightens.. Keep the back heel on the ground as long as she can hold it.

Then see what she looks like.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Didn't take long to get another! @efastball the bent rear knee is still there, she seems to adjust her height to the pitch via the knee and less from bending at the waist. Doesn't do it in tee work. Do you have a video you could share that shows drills to work on this?

Jun 8, 2016
Didn't take long to get another! @efastball the bent rear knee is still there, she seems to adjust her height to the pitch via the knee and less from bending at the waist. Doesn't do it in tee work. Do you have a video you could share that shows drills to work on this?

View attachment 14428

Bent rear knee could be due to her having to abort her stride some to get her front foot down to hit. Is her stride length off the tee/front toss a bit longer? Maybe have her start her gather/negative move a wee bit sooner to give herself more time to move out.

Sep 29, 2014
Hey just saw this I just started posting again...congrats she is looking great.

Can always nitpick but I'm a big believer in not messing with a good thing.

Hard to tell exactly when toe touch heel plant is happening with that pole in the way...lol but can't believe I'm saying this looks like she is still leaving a little power on the table, but she obviously has more than she needs, just maybe get a few more of those pop outs to leave the yard.

I think because of short stride she isn't quite 100% right at toe touch as well as not being able to give a complete push off the back.

I wouldn't mess with the short little step stride because it is working for her but study Lauren's video and how even with no stride she gets lots of power off the back side and at toe touch looks more classic of elite hitters.

Oh and did I mention that part about how she is doing great and I wouldn't make any big changes, just little tweeks one at a time and let her incorporate what feel good and what yields better results. Also these look like she is practicing low pitches focus on how she uses bat angle and not any body movements to get to the low pitches.

Sep 29, 2014
Stills at toe touch (Lauren is actually closer to heel plant but I'm to lazy to redo it)...did i forget to mention she is looking great :):)

miatoetoouch.pnglauren foot plant.PNGjosh heel plant.JPG

Jun 8, 2016
Hey just saw this I just started posting again...congrats she is looking great.

Can always nitpick but I'm a big believer in not messing with a good thing.

Hard to tell exactly when toe touch heel plant is happening with that pole in the way...lol but can't believe I'm saying this looks like she is still leaving a little power on the table, but she obviously has more than she needs, just maybe get a few more of those pop outs to leave the yard.

I think because of short stride she isn't quite 100% right at toe touch as well as not being able to give a complete push off the back.

I wouldn't mess with the short little step stride because it is working for her but study Lauren's video and how even with no stride she gets lots of power off the back side and at toe touch looks more classic of elite hitters.

Oh and did I mention that part about how she is doing great and I wouldn't make any big changes, just little tweeks one at a time and let her incorporate what feel good and what yields better results. Also these look like she is practicing low pitches focus on how she uses bat angle and not any body movements to get to the low pitches.

Yeah she is certainly doing great.

Only reason I mentioned giving herself enough time to stride out more is because he was saying she doesn't have the bent rear knee off the tee.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Stride is very short.. If you look way back at the beginning, she had an all back all forward swing. Somehow, that all got worked into a short stride. Her batting coach has ultimate say and the style of swing that her organization teaches is counter to what many desire in a swing. I try to work on the smallest of details... I've been trying to get her to keep the angle of the bat the same as she draws her hands back, instead the angle slightly decreases (knob pointing towards pitcher vs catcher). Also, I like to see balance throughout the swing. Little things like the back knee are interesting too, I'd like to look into that. Overall, I want to see a little more power generated in the coil, from launch onwards seems to be the domain of the batting coach..

Jun 8, 2016
Stride is very short.. If you look way back at the beginning, she had an all back all forward swing. Somehow, that all got worked into a short stride. Her batting coach has ultimate say and the style of swing that her organization teaches is counter to what many desire in a swing. I try to work on the smallest of details... I've been trying to get her to keep the angle of the bat the same as she draws her hands back, instead the angle slightly decreases (knob pointing towards pitcher vs catcher). Also, I like to see balance throughout the swing. Little things like the back knee are interesting too, I'd like to look into that. Overall, I want to see a little more power generated in the coil, from launch onwards seems to be the domain of the batting coach..
Nothing wrong with a short stride. I only mentioned it because you said something about the rear knee and her tee swing so I was just wondering if perhaps the timing of her gather off of live ball was causing it.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
@djcarter1966 those stills are perfect... I know the still from my DD's hit is grainy, but you can clearly see that the bat knob is pointed towards the pitcher vs backwards to the catcher. This is a perfect small fix as I don't want to mess things up, she's only just turned 13 and is seeing the ball great right now. Almost went the full cycle in 3 at bats against a very very good team (HR, 3B, and 1B)

Sep 29, 2014
Also just as you try getting into the more classic launch position as she moves her hands to twists the bat back a little her back elbow and shoulder will naturally slide up a little which is fine but ask her to see if she feels her hip go back (more coil) slightly, its weird how the body connects everything together but as I tried this out myself I did feel my hip want to slide back a little as well...good luck. Again though small steps definitely just one thing at a time don't make her over think anything. Also don't be afraid to show her video of her favorite hitters, don't worry they will all be really close to this position at launch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28