Creating or defining a leader

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 9, 2013
SO second year 10U coach here. Last year, as a 9 heavy 10U team we had a very good year. We were right around 500, beat some second year teams and generally were competitive game in and game out.

Move ahead a year and now playing with a target on our back as the second year team and what I'm noticing my biggest issue thus far is having that kid who steps into the lead role. Last year, I had a 10 yo shortstop who was the ringleader but on the field took charge and made sure they all know what they were supposed to be doing at all times. I don't have that this year. I have 11 good kids but no one vocal enough to step into that.

How do you develop leaders?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Start with your catchers. IMO, being a leader is part of the catcher's job (as is being a therapist for the pitchers).

Jun 18, 2010
SO second year 10U coach here. Last year, as a 9 heavy 10U team we had a very good year. We were right around 500, beat some second year teams and generally were competitive game in and game out.

Move ahead a year and now playing with a target on our back as the second year team and what I'm noticing my biggest issue thus far is having that kid who steps into the lead role. Last year, I had a 10 yo shortstop who was the ringleader but on the field took charge and made sure they all know what they were supposed to be doing at all times. I don't have that this year. I have 11 good kids but no one vocal enough to step into that.

How do you develop leaders?

That must have been some 10 yo you had. I don't recall ever having a "leader" in 10U, especially one who took charge to the extent they made sure the other players knew what they were supposed to be doing. If that were the case, I wouldn't have had to remind so many to stop twirling while others where making designs in the dirt. At 10U they looked to the coaches for leadership.

Aug 9, 2013
She was a special player. Maybe I was very fortunate and didn't realize it. I can still tell in my mind little things like runner on first base and right away every time looking over to the second baseman and telling them I got the base, you are backing up. And runner on second, reminding the LF that she needed to be backing her up on a steal at 3B. She was a field general.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She was a special player. Maybe I was very fortunate and didn't realize it. I can still tell in my mind little things like runner on first base and right away every time looking over to the second baseman and telling them I got the base, you are backing up. And runner on second, reminding the LF that she needed to be backing her up on a steal at 3B. She was a field general.

At 10U girls are rare to do that on their own. However, this is something that can be taught. Actually, at 10U, reading the game situation is something that EVERY player should be learning how to do.

Jun 18, 2010
I agree Eric some of those leadership traits can be taught.

I've seen teams turn on girls who "think" they are leaders and come across as bossy. A couple former players who would talk-the-talk, but not walk-the-walk. Make sure your leader also supports her teammates and doesn't just come across as a bossy coach wannabe.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I agree Eric some of those leadership traits can be taught.

I've seen teams turn on girls who "think" they are leaders and come across as bossy. A couple former players who would talk-the-talk, but not walk-the-walk. Make sure your leader also supports her teammates and doesn't just come across as a bossy coach wannabe.

Agreed 100%.

The current season of 10U rec ball for my DD is not challenging her on a competitive level. Our goal for this year is to develop her leadership skills - on the field, and in the dugout. So far, she's doing great. The mother of one first-season player complimented my DD as being "patient and gracious" with the new players.

Apr 28, 2014
Sit them all on the bench after a tough loss. Look into their eyes. You may see fire in one set.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Try to get a culture of them talking to each other, then little things like "I got the steal", get easier. Make it OK to be loud and wrong, but silence is unacceptable. Usually it starts with you asking questions.
I started out reminding DD when she caught that she wasn't telling them what to do, but she was obligated to tell them what she saw. Again, better to call the play loudly and get the base wrong than to be right and silent.
Hope this helps.

Aug 9, 2013
Sit them all on the bench after a tough loss. Look into their eyes. You may see fire in one set.

Here is the funny thing - these girls like to compete but they have no idea if they won or lost regardless if it close or a blowout.

We tied to a team that was a tier below us over the weekend and they knew they played terrible and the post game huddle was very quiet. They knew what was coming. ;) This is prompting some of the questions. They knew they didn't put out their best effort (lack of hustle, no involvement from the bench) but no one took charge of it. I'm looking for someone to do that. When a team self governs itself, they are stronger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802