Creating and explaining a batting line up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
So my question - how do you create a line up and do you explain to your girls what each players “role” is in that line up?

I don't really believe in different roles for different lineup spots. I do believe different skill sets are better for certain spots in the lineup, and so I try to put players in the best spot to maximize their skills.

The job of the hitter is to get on base, so I don't feel the need to explain that in the context of a specific role.

Her HS coach is amazing at creating a line up and tells each girl what their role is. Last year as a freshman DD batted 2nd. The lead off was an amazing senior who was the fastest girl I have ever seen. DD was asked to be selfless and was told her job was to move the lead off around. Each batter was clearly told what their role was and was expected to play for the team.

This makes me sad. Such a waste of the #2 hitter (I want my best overall hitter batting second), especially if the leadoff hitter is that fast. Why are you giving away an out and bunting her over when she can just steal the base?

Jun 11, 2013
Here's a little wrinkle that came up.

At 10U we often run for our pitcher and catcher. Not always, but mostly when it's one of our pitchers who is especially slow. Big hitter though.

Rules state that we can have a courtesy runner, but it has to be the last completed batter. One game it played out that the person we had to use was also slow.

Do we factor that into our batting line-up? Probably not much, but it might be one of those tie-breaker things where we think "let's swap those two in case we need to run for Sally who is pitching this game."
Unless you want to put a terrible fast runner up prior to the P or C you can't assume they'll get out so it's kind of hard to predict. Now if they are the leadoff batter it makes some send to put the last hitter (assuming your batting the lineup). It can sometimes be tough when you have a slow runner due to run, but you don't have to courtesy run. You can also wait a hitter or 2 and then do so.

Sep 17, 2009
Ok - so I’m not a coach. Have tons of respect for coaches and am very grateful for all the time they devote to my kid and thousands of others!

So my question - how do you create a line up and do you explain to your girls what each players “role” is in that line up?

DD plays on a high-ish level 14U team (they do very well in state) She has always been the lead off batter on her TB team. She is a slapper who can also bunt and hit for power. She has by far the highest OBP of any girl on her team. She has really learned to read defenses and hit/slap/bunt accordingly. The problem? She is constantly stranded on base. Every girl behind her thinks they should be hitting HRs and swing for the fences - resulting more often than not in pop ups to the OF. And then they cry. It makes DD crazy!

Her HS coach is amazing at creating a line up and tells each girl what their role is. Last year as a freshman DD batted 2nd. The lead off was an amazing senior who was the fastest girl I have ever seen. DD was asked to be selfless and was told her job was to move the lead off around. Each batter was clearly told what their role was and was expected to play for the team.

So...do you just tell everyone swing for the fences no matter where you are in the line up or do you give each batter a role to play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just kidding. Sort of :)

Sep 19, 2018
I agree with a lot of what is said here.

1) The kids have to be who they are. You can't ask them to do something or be someone they are not capable of doing or being. You first build the lineup to them.
2) What you need to accomplish, what your role is as a hitter changes with the situation.

I really enjoyed Charlie Lau Jrs, book. So, when I talk to the kids, their job is to (this is for everyone, regardless of skill or capability or situation):

1) See the ball. Focus, focus focus on seeing the ball.
2) swing at good pitches

I don't want to attach an outcome that is not necessarily dependent on the hitter doing everything correctly. Players are already putting enough pressure on themselves to get hits or drive in runs or whatever. I don't need to add to that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101