Covering 2nd on a steal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
You have alot of good opinions already. Trust your baseball instincts, less the base path and leads.

I'll add a couple ideas...

Your players are always in motion, where the initial play is the pitch where there's always a secondary play to the bag. Eventually that natural rhythym will develop. Keep in mind the possibility that she may be timid in her reaction to second because she just may not understand the proper mechanics of receiving and applying a tag without getting hurt.

Absolutely, many coaches play their IF too deep for their physical capabilities. You can certainly bring them in a bit. Shorten the ground coverage and length of throw. There are various reasons, but my experience is that the lack of a backhand play is forcing the SS so deep in the hole to cover excess ground (to make a forehand play rather than a backhand) for the deficiency in that skill. At younger ages, there aren't usually an abundance of rocket shots to the hole between SS & 3rd.

You can also utilize your 2nd baseman in more coverage based on some scouting and percentages, and even utilize shifts if you so chose.

Your baseball IQ will translate great, just remembering that the action is shorter distances and quicker movements.

Let us know how it goes.

Chris

Mar 28, 2016
This is a skill that you learn over time and it is really hard to teach without in-game repetition. The margin for staying and going is such a small window. My DD has finally figured it out and can get there every time without vacating early. She used to complain about it, but I always told her that she will eventually figure it out. And now it's easy.
Do not have them leave early. They have to play the batter first and the runner second.
Have them cheat one step over, but they need to inform 3B to also cheat at least a half step over. You cannot have 3B play the line and SS play the middle. The gap is huge.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
Thanks Marriard. I'll starting working on them moving earlier and reading the pitch. You're right, you don't see many hit and runs, but leaving that SS gap open is always a fear. Its the baseball player of 20+ years still in my head from time to time.

What age? What about having the 2B cover, depending on the hitter's tendencies?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Some great advice in here! Sounds like your SS is mainly focusing on playing her primary roll at SS, which is great, with a little more age and experience covering 2B on a steal will become second nature! Anna's 17, the only things I ever yell from the dugout are...............expect it, fast feet, and don't cheat! And she usually reminds me that all that mouthing is NOT necessary! :rolleyes:

This may help some with positioning, Anna's a pitcher and a SS, she ALWAYS has her wrist call card on her left arm, she knows where the pitch is "supposed" to be, if it's a curve outside, she cheats a little more towards the bag, and vise versa. Another thing is her mindset, if the catcher does her job, She's going to tag that runner out, even if she has to dive, roll around on the ground with the base runner, short hop, doesn't matter!!

Another thing to teach your SS is to sell that tag to the ump, tag and quickly show the ump her glove with the ball in it, in my experience, umpires love it and it may make the difference in a really close bang bang play!

I don't think you said what age girl we're talking about...........but if she's going to the bag and not catching the ball four feet in front of the bag you already have half the battle won! Dealing with younger girls, nothing used to made me madder then knowing your catcher had the runner out and your SS was 4 or 5 feet in front of the bag and trying to dive back and tag the runner! :mad:

Mar 28, 2016
A lot of good advise in this thread. And AnnasDad is completely correct in flashing the glove after the tag.
One thing I will add is that I'm a strong believer in straddling the bag. I know some prefer the SS just in front of the bag, but by straddling it you completely take the hook slide option out of play. Even when you straddle it, you will get the odd runner doing the hook slide (because it looks good). But they don't realize it takes longer for you to get to the bag with your hand then it does your lead foot. I've seen outs recorder because a runner has chosen to do this instead of just sliding normally.

May 17, 2012
A lot of good advise in this thread. And AnnasDad is completely correct in flashing the glove after the tag.
One thing I will add is that I'm a strong believer in straddling the bag. I know some prefer the SS just in front of the bag, but by straddling it you completely take the hook slide option out of play. Even when you straddle it, you will get the odd runner doing the hook slide (because it looks good). But they don't realize it takes longer for you to get to the bag with your hand then it does your lead foot. I've seen outs recorder because a runner has chosen to do this instead of just sliding normally.

So much bad advice in this post. Specifically there doesn't seem to be an understanding of why you would use a hook or a rollover slide.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
What age? What about having the 2B cover, depending on the hitter's tendencies?

We see a 2B cover on a steal, we bunt towards 1B. Now you have to have the P field the bunt as 1B can't crash, and that is always a tough play even with an average speed runner.

I know some may choose to do this based on the batter's speed or tendencies, but personally Iike to keep bunt coverage simple. We commit to one strong coverage and use it 99% of the time.

Nov 18, 2015
I asked a similar question last year - there's also the timing aspect needed for 2B to not only get to the bag, but also be able to re-orient and receive the throw.

Mar 28, 2016
So much bad advice in this post. Specifically there doesn't seem to be an understanding of why you would use a hook or a rollover slide.
Huh? I know exactly when you should use a hook slide. I am saying there are kids out there that will do the hook slide when they shouldn't be. If you straddle the bag and do not have to reach back, you do not have to worry about the runner hooking around the bag on you. You are right over top of the play.
What specifically were you referring to?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802