Bullet spin rise?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I generally observe two types of “bullet spin” from pitchers:

a) Small Dot
this is where the “narrows” of the seams are facing the batter.
Produces a very well defined small “dot” axis that the ball is rotating around

b) Big Dot
This spin is more curveball-ish. the part of the ball facing the batter is the largest smooth area of the ball. This produces a large “dot” axis that the ball is rotating around

Most of the NCAA “riseball” pitchers (like Garcia) throw a “Big Dot” and not a “Small Dot”. (And a few Unicorns throw true backspinning riseball...)

My own observations are that a Big Dot will stay on plane better, and have more true riesball qualities than a Small Dot. Small Dots generally get hammered...

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018

a) Small Dot
this is where the “narrows” of the seams are facing the batter.
Produces a very well defined small “dot” axis that the ball is rotating around

b) Big Dot
This spin is more curveball-ish. the part of the ball facing the batter is the largest smooth area of the ball. This produces a large “dot” axis that the ball is rotating around

Most of the NCAA “riseball” pitchers (like Garcia) throw a “Big Dot” and not a “Small Dot”. (And a few Unicorns throw true backspinning riseball...)

My own observations are that a Big Dot will stay on plane better, and have more true riesball qualities than a Small Dot. Small Dots generally get hammered...

What’s the grip difference between the 2 ? Or is it the release that changes the dot size. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
a) Small Dot
b) Big Dot

In baseball, curves and sliders have either a dot or a circle depending on typical 4S grip or 2S grip, respectively. IOW, you simply rotate the ball to different seams. Could be the same thing in fastpitch.

Mar 20, 2015
Is there is a trade off between getting perfect spin vs throwing at full velocity. Hypothetically say Garcia could only throw perfect riseball spin at 63 mph but she could throw bullet spin at 70 mph. High school physics tell you that gravity causes the 63 mph ball to drop an additional 6 inches vs the 70 mph ball. Unless the spin can make up for that 6 inches she may be better off with the bullet spin or somewhere in between.

Jun 19, 2013
Is there is a trade off between getting perfect spin vs throwing at full velocity. Hypothetically say Garcia could only throw perfect riseball spin at 63 mph but she could throw bullet spin at 70 mph. High school physics tell you that gravity causes the 63 mph ball to drop an additional 6 inches vs the 70 mph ball. Unless the spin can make up for that 6 inches she may be better off with the bullet spin or somewhere in between.
I am mostly guessing, it would be nice to hear from someone like Riseball on this, but I think this might be right on. I know early on my DD was learning to throw a riseball with with true back spin - I was so proud, but then people looked at it and said dang that is slow. At the time her FB was probably about 44-46 and her riseball was probably about 38 not joking haha. As she kept working on it she lost that true back spin and it became more of a slanted back spin and now her FB is about 54 and her RB is about 50-51. Closer than it used to be. I would guess that if we could get her back to truer backspin she would also loose a few more mph.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It is not uncommon for a riseball with true backspin to be a little slower than a pitcher's fastball. That's where the speed vs trajectory compromise enters into it, and this often depends on the RPM's that the pitcher can generate. The last thing that you have to factor in is the axis of spin. All three things make or break the pitch, how fast is it, how much spin does it have and how true is the axis of spin.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
Does anyone know how to throw this style rise? 2 seem, which seems how to release? Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 28, 2017
Kid that pitches with our DD has absolute perfect spin on her rise ball. Her fastball is about 50 and her rise maybe 40. Keep wondering if she will ever be able to throw it hard enough. The spin is perfect no tilt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28