Bullet spin rise?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
During the World Series of softball some pitchers were throwing a “bullet spin” rise. Can anyone explain what exactly this is, what’s the grip and how you throw it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 6, 2018
During the World Series of softball some pitchers were throwing a “bullet spin” rise. Can anyone explain what exactly this is, what’s the grip and how you throw it?

I was told that Garcia's rise was not really a rise. It didn't have back spin. Had corkscrew spin

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2015
There is no such thing as a bullet spin rise.

By definition a "bullet spin rise" is simply a high pitch.

You can call such a pitch a ramp ball, with the pitcher throwing it on a low to high trajectory and with great accuracy and speed be very effective with it. But it lacks the rise ball effect.

Nov 8, 2018
There is no such thing as a bullet spin rise.

By definition a "bullet spin rise" is simply a high pitch.

You can call such a pitch a ramp ball, with the pitcher throwing it on a low to high trajectory and with great accuracy and speed be very effective with it. But it lacks the rise ball effect.

So basically it’s a bullet spin fast ball thrown high over the hands. ?

Jul 4, 2018
san diego ca
i'm a slow pitch pitcher and i use a yawed bullet spin to achieve a slow pitch curve... check this video out and see what you think... this is another way to induce the magnus force... i've posted this in here before but most of you thought i was crazy... i'll leave you to decide for yourself if this answers your question or not... if the spin is directly in line with the direction of the ball then there is no magnus force... but if the spin axis is lower than the direction of travel... then this will 'rise'... in my opinion... :cool:

plus you can check out rachel garcia'.s pitches and see how the direction of the yaw determines the direction the magnus force is created...

https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/rachel-garcia.34074/

Jan 28, 2017
My DD just turned 13 and is learning the rise. When she releases it late and she has bullet spin. If she doesn't spin the ball with her fingers she has bullet spin.

When she releases it early and spins her fingers the spin and pitch is very good for a 13 year old.

With that most pitchers release the ball late and your hand automatically turns when late.

Sep 3, 2015
My DD just turned 13 and is learning the rise. When she releases it late and she has bullet spin. If she doesn't spin the ball with her fingers she has bullet spin.

When she releases it early and spins her fingers the spin and pitch is very good for a 13 year old.

With that most pitchers release the ball late and your hand automatically turns when late.
When I'm on the bucket I want the rise to be at my right ear or forehead. For my DD, a late release on the rise just equals a high pitch. PC says, "tie it to the hip"

I think the thumb gets in the way for a lot of pitchers throwing the rise which messes up the spin.

When you are catching and the rise comes right at your eyes it makes me flinch every time, does it "jump"?? Lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jan 28, 2017
When I'm on the bucket I want the rise to be at my right ear or forehead. For my DD, a late release on the rise just equals a high pitch. PC says, "tie it to the hip"

I think the thumb gets in the way for a lot of pitchers throwing the rise which messes up the spin.

When you are catching and the rise comes right at your eyes it makes me flinch every time, does it "jump"?? Lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Have your DD get her hand under the ball where she wants to release the rise and then have her keep moving her arm forward her hand at some point will begin turning and you can't get rise ball spin. It has to be bullet or curve ball spin. Only a dad on a bucket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812