Breaking a hitting slump

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 23, 2018
Thank you for the great advice. We have tried many of the suggestions, and we do not put extra emphasis on SO's vs hitting out. Both are just outs. i do like the "forced" swings idea. We will try it next week.

Sep 18, 2016
My daughter went through this for a long time. She was afraid to swing at a bad pitch and get yelled at (bad coach during coach pitch). But because she got walked so much she got away with it for a long time. Finally second year 10u she had a coach who told her if she didn't swing every at bat that the whole team would run after games, that finally got her swinging when none of the other ideas worked.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2017
In 10u my DD did not want to swing. I called a timeout with the plate ump with daughter listening and asked if it was legal to send her to bat without actually holding a bat. If she wants to walk no need in carrying a bat with her to the plate. That got the message across but for the record I would have sent her to the next at bat to just stand there without a bat. And she knew it. Then after she started swinging I called a bunt and it was perfect. That gave her confidence and then hitting was good again. From time to time it’s still good if she is struggling to let her put a bunt down to make contact and gain confidence.

Sep 23, 2018
In 10u my DD did not want to swing. I called a timeout with the plate ump with daughter listening and asked if it was legal to send her to bat without actually holding a bat. If she wants to walk no need in carrying a bat with her to the plate. That got the message across but for the record I would have sent her to the next at bat to just stand there without a bat. And she knew it. Then after she started swinging I called a bunt and it was perfect. That gave her confidence and then hitting was good again. From time to time it’s still good if she is struggling to let her put a bunt down to make contact and gain confidence.

I like that "no bat" idea - lol. We have also tried bunting, but she just pulls back and takes a called strike.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Most kids this age do not begin their stride until they think the ball is a strike. If you wait that long, it's very hard to hit it, except maybe weak oppo dribblers (like your hitter). And it's hard to have any stride and hit it. In baseball you have to have your front foot down when the ball is halfway to you. Not sure about fastpitch, it's probably sooner. So you can't wait until the ball is halfway to start moving.

Watch her (and the rest of the team) and she if she moves forward on ball release.

The easy fix is this - every time they get in the cages, hold the ball randomly and see if they moved. Make them move on every pitch.

Jun 26, 2021
These baseball bat analyzers are appropriate to baseball aficionados and young players who want to track their motions. And they're also good for those facing a severe decrease

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802