Best to fall in love with the school and not the coach - turnover is HIGH

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Thought it was interesting that I just saw the Army West Point Coach at the Ronald McDonald this past Sunday. She was there watching a couple of our girls play 2 games. Next day she resigns. Anyway, it led me to list of all the Head Coach changes JUST this year. WOW! I knew there was turnover but had no idea it was this crazy!

School Previous Coach New Coach
Army Michelle DePolo Bob Beretta (Interim)
Alabama A&M Nakeya Hall Cassandra Brown
Arkansas-Pine Bluff Kevin Montgomery
Austin Peay Rodney DeLong Kassie Stanfill
Boise State Cindy Ball Maggie Livreri
Brown Katie Flynn Kate Refsnyder
Bryant Shayne Lotito Nick French
Buffalo Mike Roberts Mike Ruechel (interim)
Campbell Todd Bradley Sharonda McDonald
Central Florida Renee Luers-Gillispie Cindy Ball
Charleston Southern Shane Winkler Venus Taylor
​Cleveland State Becky Norris Amy Kyler
Dartmouth Shannon Doepking
Delaware John Seneca Jen Steele
DePaul Eugene Lenti Tracie Adix-Zins
Florida International Gator Rebhan
​​Fordham Bridget Orchard Melissa Inouye
Furman Wally King (interim) Wally King
George Washington James DeFeo Shane Winkler
Grambling Wilbert Early Nakeya Hall
Hofstra Larissa Anderson Jay Miller
Howard Lauren McCoy
Iona Melissa Inouye Katie Jansson
Iowa Marla Looper Renee Luers-Gillispie
Jackson State Darnell Walker Kevin Montgomery
Kansas Megan Smith Jennifer McFalls
Kennesaw State Pete D’Amour Tripp MacKay
Lamar Holly Bruder Amy Hooks
Louisville Sandy Pearsall Holly Aprile
Louisiana-Monroe Corey Lyon Molly Fichtner
Marshall Jen Steele Megan Smith
Missouri Gina Fogue (interim) Larissa Anderson
Morehead State David Williams Samantha Jones
NC State Shawn Rychcik Jennifer Patrick-Swift
North Texas Tracey Kee Rodney DeLong
Northern Colorado Shana Easley Ben Garcia
Ohio Jodi Hermanek Horton Kenzie Roark
Omaha DJ Sanchez Amanda Rivera-Eberhart
Oregon Mike White Melyssa Lombardi
Pittsburgh Holly Aprile Jodi Hermanek Horton
​Presbyterian Britne Stubbs David Williams
Providence Kerri Jacklets Jill Karwoski
Quinnipiac Jill Karwoski Hillary Barrow
Rutgers Jay Nelson Kristen Butler
Saint Francis Jennifer Patrick-Swift Jessica O’Donnell
Saint Mary’s Jessica Rodgers Sonja Garnett
​Sam Houston St Bob Brock Garrett Valis
SIU-Edwardsville Sandy Montgomery Jessica Jones (interim)
Southern Utah Tom Gray Kortny Hall
St. John’s Amy Kvilhaug
Syracuse Mike Bosch Shannon Doepking
Texas Connie Clark Mike White
Toledo Kristen Butler Joe Abraham
UAB Amanda Ellis (interim) Jimmy Kolaitis
UMBC Heather Gelbard Chris Kuhlmeyer
Villanova Maria Dibernardi Bridget Orchard
Virginia Tech Scot Thomas Pete D’Amour
Western Illinois Beth Golitko (interim) Beth Golitko
Winthrop Mark Cooke Windy Thees

Feb 15, 2017
Quinnipiac has gotten an outstanding coach. You'll see Hillary moving up in the coaching ranks. It is too bad FIU didn't force Gator out earlier as he cost the program coaches and players.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Depolo resignation was announced before the Ronald McDonald event. You might have seen the assistant coach. Assuming you got rained out at Dyess and was moved over to Scrapyard. We lost our 3 games on Sunday at the Scrapyard to let the other teams play.

And yes! Commit to the school not the coach. My DD has seen 3 coaches at the school she committed to before she has stepped foot on campus.

Army head coach Michelle DePolo steps down - Justin's World of Softball

Nov 25, 2012
USA
You are right and it wasn't DePolo in Houston. It must have been an assistant coach and looking back now the coach I saw was a bit younger but looked alot like her.

Regardless, the coaching changes are crazy!

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I'm willing to bet huge money that nobody goes to West Point or any other service academy because of the softball coach. I half-joke that one of the few places where DD's softball ability is a match with a school that I'd want her to attend is the service academies, but she's not interested in that route.

That aside, I'd like to know how a change in coach after recruiting typically affects players. I'm sure the first answer will be "every situation is different". If you're clearly a stand-out player who could start anywhere as a freshman, chances are that the new coach will be happy to have you. However, if you're closer to the average college-level player, it could get more complicated. As we all know from HS and travel ball, every coach is different and the things they look for and value in a player can vary greatly. Most coaches don't leave winning programs with strong foundations; they are usually fired or resign because things aren't going well. Established and prospective players could easily find themselves displaced by people the new coach brings in.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Playing a sport in college is a GRIND and there is a reason most schools sign 6-8 freshmen every season and only graduate 2-3 seniors. Attrition is HIGH and a player has to really love it to stick with it all 4 years. Therefore, it is imperative that student athletes gives the school priority over the coaching staff in the decision making process regardless of whether or not the coaching staff will be there all 4 years.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
Agree with all. When I recruit I tell the players, I would love for you to play at my school for me and my HC but you have to like the school 1st. Don't play for me because you like me but play for me because you also like the school and we have your major! Never know when a coach will resign and move on or be let go! I have had several girls on a travel team I used to coach say they like me but they don't want to play at my school. I told them that's fine..you have to do whats right for you

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD visited several schools and spoke with several coaches. After a lot of consideration she narrowed it down to two schools, primarily for academic reasons. Not more than a week after she announced her final decision, we learned that the coach at her other choice left for another school. All worked out for her in this case. She likes the school, likes the team, and likes the coach. Hard to say what would have happened if she chose the other school.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28