Batters Box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2011
Batter bunts ball into top part of batters box which is in fair territory. Batter touches ball on way to first base. Batter out or is it foul ball?

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Only way the batter is out is if the contact with the ball (either the body or the bat) inside the box was intentional.

Jun 22, 2008
The batter is protected while in the batter's box if the ball comes back and contacts them. If the batter/runner makes contact with a fair batted ball they are out regardless of being in or out of the box.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MTR
Oct 11, 2018
Agree with Comp. If ball is batted into batter and she is in box, dead ball. But what is described in OP is the ball was batted and now the batter-runner touches a ball that is in fair territory. Immediate dead ball and batter-runner out for interference. After batting she became the batter-runner.

May 29, 2015
I have to admit I would have kicked this call. Comp and jackfrost are my new heroes. ;)

Using NFHS rules ...

NFHS states a ball is foul when it
f. touches the batter or the bat in the batter's hand( s) a second time while the batter is within the batter's box;

There is no distinction there for who/what initiates the contact.

However, if I understand where Comp and if are going ...That applies to the batter. The concept here is that the player is not a batter, but a batter runner at that point.

Rule 8 Batter-Runner and Runner SECTION 1 THE BATTER BECOMES A BATTER-RUNNER ART. 1 . . . A batter becomes a batter-runner with the right to attempt to score by advancing to first, second and third and then home plate in the listed order when: a. she legally hits a fair ball.

... then ...

SECTION 2 BATTER-RUNNER IS OUT The batter-runner shall be called out when: ART. 7 . . .The batter-runner interferes with a fielder attempting to make an initial play, interferes with a fielder attempting to throw the ball, intentionally interferes with a thrown ball while out of the batter's box, makes contact with a fair batted ball before reaching first base, or (F.P.) interferes with a dropped third strike.

Out. Who would have thunk it? :unsure:

Jul 29, 2013
I have to admit I would have kicked this call. Comp and jackfrost are my new heroes. ;)

Using NFHS rules ...

NFHS states a ball is foul when it
f. touches the batter or the bat in the batter's hand( s) a second time while the batter is within the batter's box;

There is no distinction there for who/what initiates the contact.

However, if I understand where Comp and if are going ...That applies to the batter. The concept here is that the player is not a batter, but a batter runner at that point.

Rule 8 Batter-Runner and Runner SECTION 1 THE BATTER BECOMES A BATTER-RUNNER ART. 1 . . . A batter becomes a batter-runner with the right to attempt to score by advancing to first, second and third and then home plate in the listed order when: a. she legally hits a fair ball.

... then ...

SECTION 2 BATTER-RUNNER IS OUT The batter-runner shall be called out when: ART. 7 . . .The batter-runner interferes with a fielder attempting to make an initial play, interferes with a fielder attempting to throw the ball, intentionally interferes with a thrown ball while out of the batter's box, makes contact with a fair batted ball before reaching first base, or (F.P.) interferes with a dropped third strike.

Out. Who would have thunk it? :unsure:
But the ball is foul if it hits the batter while the batter is still in the batter's box, so they haven't become a batter runner because they haven't hit a fair ball.
Not out....foul ball.

Jan 27, 2019
But the ball is foul if it hits the batter while the batter is still in the batter's box, so they haven't become a batter runner because they haven't hit a fair ball.
Not out....foul ball.

Let me try to explain this a little more clearly:
If the ball bounces back and hits the batter, it's a dead ball and counted as a strike (treated like a foul ball)
If the batter/runner while advancing, whether in the box or out, makes contact with the ball it is a dead ball out for interference

Who caused the contact with the ball? If it was the ball (in the box) then she's not going to be out; if it was the runner, in the box or out, she's out

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee