Bat blocking the runners path @home

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Runner on 2b. On deck batter is on the 3B side of the field.

Batter hits a line drive to right center. Drops bat right in the 3B line. Runner on 2B is sent home but as they get to near home realize bat is laying right across base path where they are going to slide. throw from CF reaches catcher and runner tagged out. No issue with the runner being out.

Question could the On Deck batter have moved the bat out of the base path, right after the ball was hit? They would not have been interfering with the catcher making a play as the ball hadn't been thrown from the OF yet.

I often see the on Deck behind home plate directing runner to slide and which side of the plate to slide to.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
I wouldn't see it as an issue as long as she got the bat out of the way fairly quick. Funny story with DD1 in a game this season. She walked on a passed ball with a runner on 3rd. Dropped her bat at home plate and took 2 steps towards 1B then realized the bat was in the way and took one big step back and moved the bat and went on to 1B and runner from 3rd scores. I know technically she could of been called out for walking back to plate but it happened so quick I don't even think the ump noticed.

Jun 22, 2008
I wouldn't see it as an issue as long as she got the bat out of the way fairly quick. Funny story with DD1 in a game this season. She walked on a passed ball with a runner on 3rd. Dropped her bat at home plate and took 2 steps towards 1B then realized the bat was in the way and took one big step back and moved the bat and went on to 1B and runner from 3rd scores. I know technically she could of been called out for walking back to plate but it happened so quick I don't even think the ump noticed.

No she couldn't have been called out for walking back toward home, the defense must be making a play on them in order for that rule to apply.

As for the on deck batter getting the bat, yes they can but they need to make sure they stay out of the way.

Oct 4, 2018
I've always told the on-deck batters to do their best to move the bat ASAP but only if they can get clear well before a ball might get to the catcher.

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
Because a bat in the baseline is dangerous for both the runner and the catcher, we teach our on-deck batters to move the bat if we are on offense and our catcher usually kicks the bat out of the way if there's time; obviously clearing the baseline isn't her first priority, but if she has the opportunity she will kick it to the fence.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Kind of along those lines. What is it if the bat is laying there, the runner slides into Home and kicks the bat into the catcher trying to make a play?

Jun 22, 2008
Nothing, the bat is part of the field once it is out of the batters hands and stationary on the field. As long as the runner did nothing to intentionally kick the bat into the catcher its just a live ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802