Base running

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
With runner on second and zero outs you can expect: 1.493 runs
With runner on second and one out you can expect: .857 runs
With runner on second and two outs you can expect: .379 runs

Not sure if that helps answer your question. I would point out it's the difference in the runs that counts when you are evaluating scenarios (like whether to bunt or steal).

Jan 20, 2017
Midland, MI
Thank you. It's looks like your answer is the analytics for runs per inning when theses situations occur. I should have phrased the question to be how often does a runner score from second on a single with the different scenarios. Do they score 50% of the time, 10% of the time, 75% of the time?

May 17, 2012
Thank you. It's looks like your answer is the analytics for runs per inning when theses situations occur. I should have phrased the question to be how often does a runner score from second on a single with the different scenarios. Do they score 50% of the time, 10% of the time, 75% of the time?

Softball stats are hard to come by for something that specific. For baseball (MLB) it's as follows:

Runner on 2B and zero outs on a single: 39% (runner scored)
Runner on 2B and one out on a single: 51% (runner scored)
Runner on 2B and two outs on a single: 76% (runner scored)

All three scenarios combined the runner scores 58.8% of the time. This makes sense to me as coaches are more aggressive with more outs (got to score that run somehow) and less aggressive with fewer outs. Runners are only thrown out at home roughly 3% of the time.

I have found that when comparing softball to baseball stats the percentages will differ slightly but the underlying rate of change remains comparable. I would say the same about D1 softball compared to 14u travel softball stats (for example) as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802