Barrel-Forearm Alignment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Is the barrel being 'torqued' to achieve barrel-forearm alignment? (Using torqued to tie this discussion to others about TTB.):cool:

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Is the barrel being 'torqued' to achieve barrel-forearm alignment? (Using torqued to tie this discussion to others about TTB.):cool:

This wasn't intended to be about how the barrel gets to forearm alignment, but rather an observation that this alignment (or very close to it) is occurring frequently with top-level hitters.

That said, with my DD, her lack of early barrel speed was limiting the ability for her to get to that checkpoint within the context of her swing, which was affecting her success. Recent TTB work seems to be moving things towards barrel-forearm alignment for her.

May 12, 2016
This wasn't intended to be about how the barrel gets to forearm alignment, but rather an observation that this alignment (or very close to it) is occurring frequently with top-level hitters.

That said, with my DD, her lack of early barrel speed was limiting the ability for her to get to that checkpoint within the context of her swing, which was affecting her success. Recent TTB work seems to be moving things towards barrel-forearm alignment for her.

Are you seeing improvements in game swings for her.. and is this something conscious she needs to think about. Just thinking out loud, but just being on time is a challenge. Being on time with proper alignment seems very close to knob to the ball and intersecting with perfect timing. I understand that TTB or getting behind and through the ball is the ultimate way.. I'm just saying that perfect timing needs to be in play to get there with the right alignment, or am I misunderstanding or overthinking the concept

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Are you seeing improvements in game swings for her.. and is this something conscious she needs to think about. Just thinking out loud, but just being on time is a challenge. Being on time with proper alignment seems very close to knob to the ball and intersecting with perfect timing. I understand that TTB or getting behind and through the ball is the ultimate way.. I'm just saying that perfect timing needs to be in play to get there with the right alignment, or am I misunderstanding or overthinking the concept

The current improvements in my DD's swing are related to improving TTB, which is resulting in getting better barrel-forearm alignment at contact. We don't talk about a conscious attempt to get to alignment, but she is aware of the concept. I don't see this alignment as a teach, but rather a (possible) checkpoint as a result of good upstream actions. I also don't see this as needing to be precisely aligned for it to be considered a good swing. That said, being way out of alignment (such as the pic posted earlier by Shawn) is possibly/probably an indicator of other issues with the swing.

Really, this was just an observation that caught my attention, and it became a point of curiosity for me. I was just interested in some further discussion on the topic to assess whether it's a valid checkpoint.

May 3, 2014
Just a guess but this quote:

"It was shown that the maximum speed of the rod results if
the pendulum arm comes to a temporary stop at the instant
when the rod and the arm are both vertical. In that case, all
the initial potential energy of the system ends up as kinetic
energy in the rod."

from this paper:

https://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~cross/PUBLICATIONS/29. DPendulum.pdf

might have something to do with it. In the quote the rod is the bat and the forearm is the pendulum arm and
"both vertical" here refers to when they are aligned.

The forearm does not come to rest obviously but it does slow down right before contact if I remember correctly.

Not getting in to the science, but in all of the pendulum examples out there a ball on string is simply let go (no extra pushing) and it's velocity is greatest at its lowest point.

So, when the ball is let go and gravity takes over you could say that effort is over when the ball is let go. The ball is simply in free fall with the string controlling the path. When swinging a bat the same rules should apply. Effort is over once the barrel is launched into its path. The result will be that the barrel's velocity will be at its highest at its lowest point (barrel starts high contact should be at its lowest point). This is also going to be the quickest path for the barrel to get to the ball. The hands/forearms are the fulcrum. The hands/forearms provide the effort to launch barrel. Launch quickness (LQ) is quickest when the hands/forearms launch barrel into its path. Micro adjustments are made as the barrel is launched. Your timing is figuring out the how long is takes you to get the barrel from its highest point to its lowest point and then timing the pitch so the ball arrives when your barrel is pretty much at its lowest point.

Effort is over immediately.

N7ufi9.gif

May 12, 2016
The current improvements in my DD's swing are related to improving TTB, which is resulting in getting better barrel-forearm alignment at contact. We don't talk about a conscious attempt to get to alignment, but she is aware of the concept. I don't see this alignment as a teach, but rather a (possible) checkpoint as a result of good upstream actions. I also don't see this as needing to be precisely aligned for it to be considered a good swing. That said, being way out of alignment (such as the pic posted earlier by Shawn) is possibly/probably an indicator of other issues with the swing.

Really, this was just an observation that caught my attention, and it became a point of curiosity for me. I was just interested in some further discussion on the topic to assess whether it's a valid checkpoint.

Thanks Eric, I figured it wasn't a conscious effort, but just wanted to confirm. Basically result of good things happening upstream resulting in the alignment occurring more often

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Not getting in to the science, but in all of the pendulum examples out there a ball on string is simply let go (no extra pushing) and it's velocity is greatest at its lowest point.

So, when the ball is let go and gravity takes over you could say that effort is over when the ball is let go. The ball is simply in free fall with the string controlling the path. When swinging a bat the same rules should apply. Effort is over once the barrel is launched into its path. The result will be that the barrel's velocity will be at its highest at its lowest point (barrel starts high contact should be at its lowest point). This is also going to be the quickest path for the barrel to get to the ball. The hands/forearms are the fulcrum. The hands/forearms provide the effort to launch barrel. Launch quickness (LQ) is quickest when the hands/forearms launch barrel into its path. Micro adjustments are made as the barrel is launched. Your timing is figuring out the how long is takes you to get the barrel from its highest point to its lowest point and then timing the pitch so the ball arrives when your barrel is pretty much at its lowest point.

Effort is over immediately.

N7ufi9.gif

I consider the top-hand to be the fulcrum.

The swing is launched with the body ... what some refer to as the hip/torso-engine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478