Back Shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
What do you teach the back shoulder to do? DD tends to spin or get it under but stays back. Can really hit it when she gets hot but

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What do you teach the back shoulder to do? DD tends to spin or get it under but stays back. Can really hit it when she gets hot but

Not sure what your asking. The back shoulder should retract into the spine after the mass goes forward. The scap gets retracted, the hands turn the barrel with direction in mind as a reaction to this.

DD feeling her scap Or ‘hand load’.

Jan 28, 2017
Not sure what your asking. The back shoulder should retract into the spine after the mass goes forward. The scap gets retracted, the hands turn the barrel with direction in mind as a reaction to this.

DD feeling her scap Or ‘hand load’.

I have always taught the back shoulder goes under and forward while turning the barrel. DD sometimes goes under but doesn't go forward and makes her swing a V instead of a Nike swoop or she just spins. I want under and through. Looking for cues

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If it’s what I think it is... usually caused by a faulty barrel path.

When the barrel isn’t being supported it will seek support... the back elbow and torso is that support. But without video I am truly speculating.

May 3, 2014
One of my hitters informed she figured out what she was not doing wrt her swing (she felt like she couldn't adjust to all zones that well). Her simple answer was she was not separating. What she meant (based on what we work on) was that her rear leg was not turning forward as her back was resisting (she was turning everything at same time). Honestly the "rear shoulder" is a symptom of something else.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I have always taught the back shoulder goes under and forward while turning the barrel. DD sometimes goes under but doesn't go forward and makes her swing a V instead of a Nike swoop or she just spins. I want under and through. Looking for cues
Do you have a Frisbee sitting around? If so, have her do the action you want while throwing that Frisbee.

Jan 28, 2017
Do you have a Frisbee sitting around? If so, have her do the action you want while throwing that Frisbee.

Does drills pretty good. She can feel the spinning but when she stays on the ball and the swing becomes to much of a V she can't feel that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802