Attitude problems

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Sue, please come here. You have always been coach-able and have worked hard. It appeared to me that when I suggested .... you rolled your eyes. Sue, if you were someone who rolled her eyes when I am trying to help you, it would make it harder for me to help you. Thanks Sue. Sue, again, you have always been someone I look forward to coaching.

This is what we call a "positive sandwich." Some here have mentioned it before.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Chris, there are a lot of things to discuss. So, these are just some random points to consider.

1) You said in your first post, "The kids were throwing the ball all over the place." Do the kids know dart throws? Are you using a one throw rundown? Have you taught the five different throws? Have you taught the correct way to catch a ball?

2) If the kids aren't performing well on a drill, understand specifically what they are doing wrong. Break down the task into chunks and teach each part.

3) The single most neglected part of softball is throwing accuracy. Have the kids practice throwing at a target instead of a person.

4) You want a better way to practice run downs? Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5q6k9gESxg

5) If they aren't focused on the drill, then either (a) you're not doing a good job of keeping it interesting or (b) you've done the drill too long.

6) As to physical punishment, read this: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Volleyball/Features/2016/May/27/What-is-it-with-Physical-Punishment-in-So-Few-Sports

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sue, please come here. You have always been coach-able and have worked hard. It appeared to me that when I suggested .... you rolled your eyes. Sue, if you were someone who rolled her eyes when I am trying to help you, it would make it harder for me to help you. Thanks Sue. Sue, again, you have always been someone I look forward to coaching.

This is what we call a "positive sandwich." Some here have mentioned it before.

This is a serious question: How many times over your career have you had a kid on one of your teams who wouldn't listen to you?

Dec 15, 2018
CT
3) The single most neglected part of softball is throwing accuracy.

Amen to this. My 10U's know the response to my call "What wins games, girls?"...."Good throws!" (usually said as they head out to warm up, or during warm-ups, or whenever appropriate).

It's so ingrained I'm pretty sure when they're old and have forgotten me, they'll respond without thinking - "good throws win games".

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
If your punishing them every time its probably taking away from their focus.

4. Change it up! Often times a change of pace from regularly scheduled drills that seem to be falling apart is needed.

Here are a few things to consider.

A very good coach once showed me how to gain control over FOCUS (EVERYTIME) we begin any drill. "Hop before you start" to show they are ready and focused they high hop straight up then immediately ready position themselves for the drill. This applies before they step in the batters box, before you throw or hit every ball to them, before they enter agility ladders, before every excersise, sprint or drill. This creates a mental reset every time instantly directing FOCUS to the coach. Silly but it works and promotes explosiveness in the arch of the feet over time that translates all over the field.

A few single file lines of players and coaches. Have the players stand about 15 feet away. Coaches throw the ball. Player catches and quickly transfers glove hand to throwing hand and throws back to coach. Repeat as quickly as possible 10 throws then rotate girls to back of lines and repeat twice. This is very very easy but creates intense close quarters FOCUS that can carry the rest of a practice.

Just my 2 cents

PDC...great, thank you.

I didn't say I was punishing them every time. AND I probably didn't articulate very well what was happening or what we did. That doesn't mean there isn't a better way or adjustments/changes I can make to improve my coaching or the outcome for the girls. We try to have one time a practice where we have a competition....example playing catch with two balls....which pair of girls can go the longest. Winner gets their favorite candy bar, starbucks gift card, out of doing some of conditioning....we change it up and keep it random as to the skill/drill we use and what the reward is.

In the situation, I didn't describe so well. Working on run downs they were not doing it well, they can and have done it well in the past. We tried to up the pressure with the burpees. Admittedly that may not be the best way-willing to change and reevaluate. However after one round the girls were doing the drill and skill well. They were encouraging each other, which wasn't happening earlier, they were making crisp accurate dart throws. My point was not made well or at all that they rose to the pressure of the situation and executed. We talked after the drill that the level of execution they just exhibited is something we want to see all the time...and it will lead to the results they desire on the field.

Agree with your 4th point too on changing it up. Sometimes we walk away and regroup to work on something later in practice or another day. Some days it just isn't clicking. I get that.

Finally thank you for the FOCUS every time drill suggestion. We've been implementing the Auburn hop over the winter and now onto the field as a similar way to be ready and in a ready athletic position. This is an extension of that. And I like it Thank you for sharing it.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Chris, there are a lot of things to discuss. So, these are just some random points to consider.

1) You said in your first post, "The kids were throwing the ball all over the place." Do the kids know dart throws? Are you using a one throw rundown? Have you taught the five different throws? Have you taught the correct way to catch a ball?

2) If the kids aren't performing well on a drill, understand specifically what they are doing wrong. Break down the task into chunks and teach each part.

3) The single most neglected part of softball is throwing accuracy. Have the kids practice throwing at a target instead of a person.

4) You want a better way to practice run downs? Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5q6k9gESxg

5) If they aren't focused on the drill, then either (a) you're not doing a good job of keeping it interesting or (b) you've done the drill too long.

6) As to physical punishment, read this: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Volleyball/Features/2016/May/27/What-is-it-with-Physical-Punishment-in-So-Few-Sports

Excellent. Thank you. I'm a better coach today than yesterday.

1) Yes they know dart throws. Yes, we are using a one throw rundown....right now we're working on getting the runner back to the base and not letting them advance. I think we have taught the correct way to catch a ball.

2) Agreed.

3) Agree x10. Yes we practice throwing to a target as well as a person.

4) Thank you for sharing this! It's similar to what we were doing but only one base. I like this drill setup.

5) Thanks...but I think (c) is also they didn't come into the drill focused...And i guess that's on me as well.

6) Great read, thank you for sharing. A lot of meat in the article. and some immediate application for our team.

Feb 21, 2017
So I'm the head coach of 10u. First year coaching. I am having some attitude problems with a couple girls, rolling eyes, just bad attitude stuff. I have addresses it with the girls but I am not getting far, any suggestions

Late to the game on this and I didn't see if you are a rec or travel coach and if your child is on the team. Those would change some of my points but I will give you take (hopefully different then some). I haven't really had many issues with teams/players (usually parents) which is probably due to the pace of practice, etc. The one or two times I did I just asked them why they are there? That is the question.

My 2 cents is:

1) If this a random occurrence (happens at some practices, then not, then a few weeks later) ignore it, everyone has a bad day.
2) If it is common (almost every practice) and/or same suspects over and over then you need to address it.

How to address the kids:
Address everyone on the team like at beginning or end of a practice
Sit them down, like in a stands in front row where everyone in the same field of vision for you.
Address only the kids (not parents), don't even look at the parents.
Squat down at the kids level, you are not talking down to them but at them on their level.

What I would say (this may or may not have come out as expected. I don't tend to think it out, it happens.):
You can address that fact that some seem disinterested or don't care and this has manifested in eye rolling etc.
Here is the thing, this is their team, not yours, get that point across.
You (all the coaches) are here to help and will do whatever it takes but you make no plays on the field, have 0 ABs, pitch 0 pitches.
When the games come (and they will come) the players are wearing the uniform that represents them and their teammates, not the coaches or parents
Whatever they do in practice will be reflected in the outcome of the game
They will meet a team that does care and works hard. Unless they do also the outcome of that game won't be pretty
If that happens they will be the ones who feel bad about their play, you won't, you didn't play.
You will feel disappointed for them because you want them all to do well (emphases not winning but competing and playing well)
You can point out that you will try to coach better but that only works if they want to be coached
You can't (and won't) make them do things they don't want to do
Back to point #1, they own the team, you want them to take ownership, practice like it, play like it.
So (next practice or that practice) say go own it (or something like that)
Finally point out that it does not matter if any individual child thinks this applies to them, it does, it is a team. That is how teams work.

For what it is worth check your practice flow. I don't know what they look like but TED talks max out around 17 minutes which is the attention span of an adult viewer...think about that in your drills for 10s and even if a drill didn't go as planned, move on (rethink the drill later). Keep things short so no drill or station is more than 10-15 minutes. Never dwell, keep them going, this may fix some of the eyes.

Finally, this usually works well with teens (because they feel so many adults talk down to them) and they don't actually get ownership of anything. YMMV on your team/age group as every team has a personality and it is hard to gather via a few post. This was just to give you a few (hopefully different) ideas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802