Attitude problems

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2019
So I'm the head coach of 10u. First year coaching. I am having some attitude problems with a couple girls, rolling eyes, just bad attitude stuff. I have addresses it with the girls but I am not getting far, any suggestions

Apr 6, 2017
My wife was assistant of a rec team of 10u last year. She told the sassy girls any problems and they would sit the
bench right beside her. Funny ,towards the end of the season she had two of the sassy girls right beside her at all times
ready to go to any positions she told them. The head coach loved it.

Feb 16, 2019
My wife was assistant of a rec team of 10u last year. She told the sassy girls any problems and they would sit the
bench right beside her. Funny ,towards the end of the season she had two of the sassy girls right beside her at all times
ready to go to any positions she told them. The head coach loved it.

The only problem is I only have 10 players on my team

Sep 20, 2017
Remind your team often that they are a team and they owe it to each other to always stay positive, motivate and help each other, that one bad attitude can bring down the whole team. Sooner or later the other girls will identify the problem makers and self regulate Platoon style! just kidding. But you can only hope to reach the ones that get it, the rest have no future, don't care how good you are, no high level coach will want you if you are un-coachable. It really falls on the parents at that age range, your just a glorified baby sitter

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2012
Should I talk to parents about it or just handle it
At 10U I’d talk to the parents as a whole and not single any players out, just a “this is what the coaches expect from the players” conversation. If that goes nowhere then talk to them individually

Feb 13, 2018
Have you ever tried to say something like "hey, I noticed you rolled your eyes at (whatever the issues was). What's going on with that?" I had a high school girl I was trying to help the other day get frustrated because I was telling her something very simple and she either couldn't do it or wasn't trying....(it was literally just stepping forward instead of out during front toss) so I started telling her for every pitch she stepped out, she owed me 5 push ups. Well, eventually she just got frustrated and quit trying and said "I give up"....the next day I approached her and said "yesterday when we were in the cage I was asking you to do something and you eventually said you were giving up. My job as your coach is to help you be the absolute best you can be, and that means giving you tips on your form and making sure you are doing things correctly. You have a lot of potential, and I am really excited to have you on the team. I am never picking on you, I am just trying to help you be the best you can be." She was a completely different kid at that point and not only worked on the issue at hand, but also started asking other question on different aspects of her swing she could improve. Sometimes I feel like it's best to just simply ask them what's going on.

Aug 23, 2016
At 10U I’d talk to the parents as a whole and not single any players out, just a “this is what the coaches expect from the players” conversation. If that goes nowhere then talk to them individually

My daughter is 10U and from what I've seen talking to the team doesn't help. The sassy girls I know will act like coach is talking about someone else.

I think being direct with the girls will do more good. I like ambern11's approach and I have seen it work.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
First off, I'd try to pick up at least 2 more girls quickly.
Secondly, an eye roll or scoff at me as their coach is tolerated for about .02 seconds. Usually, I'll follow a simple rule as a coach. It's to always publicly praise them, and privately discipline them (with the parents included) however an eye roll is blatantly disrespectful, and is an attempt to undermine your authority. You MUST publicly address that instantly. A run to the fence, followed by a time out sitting by herself in the grass in center field for about 10 minutes will usually do the trick. Have a talk with Mom and Dad and explain if that's too harsh, find a new team, because that kind of behavior is unacceptable here!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28