Attended Wasserman High Level Throwing Clinic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
Got a chance to attend a throwing clinic this past weekend taught by Austin Wasserman with my 10u DD. We did a 2 hour outfield clinic on Saturday and 2 hr infield clinic on Sunday. As a new assistant coach I'm trying to learn as much as I can and was very thankful that he allows coaches to come out on the field and listen/participate. My daughter and I both started softball in the spring and I fell into the "L" drill trap that is so prevalent on Youtube etc. Glad to get straightened out. I will be purchasing his book and trying to incorporate his drills and strength training into our practices. Hopefully I can convince the head coach and two other assistant coaches this is the correct path. If anyone is on the fence about his techniques and has a chance to attend one of his clinics, I highly recommend it.

Jan 22, 2011
Where was the clinic? I'm working with Cal Rays to bring Austin Wasserman out to the SF Bay Area in November, but I can't get coaches to understand teaching 13 year olds proper throwing mechanics is much more important than playing 6 fall ball tournaments. Still working on it, requested a meeting with the head of my daughter's new organization.

I'm debating whether to bring him out Dec 15/16, the weekend before finals at her school. How tired was she afterwards?

My daughter had a one hour session with Austin in August 2014, which gave me the ammunition to tell coaches who worried that since she threw very hard and accurately, but wasn't throwing the way they were taught to teach, that she was going to ruin her arm, that she was fine and there was a $25 e-book they should buy. I actually negotiated a bulk price deal with Austin and in 2015 bought 20 e-books for coaches in the rec league I was president of.

Austin only made a couple very minor adjustments. When I bought a new Kindle in late July, I realized the videos of her working with Austin were in the cloud. Brings a smile to my lips.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018
He was in Houston this weekend. I think a local travel team hired him and then sold slots to anyone else who wanted to come to help offset the costs. There were around 20 girls in each session. I was hoping the girl/coach ratio was a little lower, but it worked out ok. Definately wouldn't want it any higher. He did two sessions, 2 hrs long each day, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Friday was outfielders then infielders. Saturday was catchers then outfielders. Sunday was infielders then catchers. Daughter and I were pretty tired after the Saturday outfield session, but she was recovered enough to do the Sunday infield session. Texas heat had a big part to play in how tired we were. Outfield and infield sessions were very similar, just a few tweaks on some of the drills.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk