Arm circle problems

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
OK. I think we fixed the drive mechanics and IR by going back to a delay in the swing back by watching the two step drills again. The problem is still the arm bend. She can stand in one spot and do a circle and her arm looks as loose as possible. When she throws into a net she almost muscles it and sometimes bends her arm at almost 90 degrees. She can't break the habit and says something doesn't feel right. We are really looking at ways to basically unlock that arm for more whip if that makes sense. College season is over and she has probably lost 8mph on her fastball.

Try to start slow which she does well and slowly amp her up. As soon as she breaks form stop there. Take notice of where it occurred and kept working back to that spot and then try to move past it in progression
If she keeps throwing wrong she will keep throwing wrong.
Hammer these drills up to that intensity that her form breaks. The. Work it right there till she breaks thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 4, 2010

These are some revisions we made. The shortarming can be seen from behind. She is keeping the ball closer to the power line but still seems to be muscleing the pitch.

Nov 8, 2018

These are some revisions we made. The shortarming can be seen from behind. She is keeping the ball closer to the power line but still seems to be muscleing the pitch.

Much much better. Good arm lag. Not pushing down the back of the circle but pulling. Nice brush contact. Did her velocity or accuracy improve ? It should.

Feb 4, 2010
Both improved. She was also almost leaping a full foot across her power line before too. The problem is the more she throws the further the ball gets from the power line. She really bends the elbow and shortens her arm circle at about 2 o'clock. I didn't know if there was a drill that would really get that in the best position other than the wall drill. When everything is correct she throws great.

Nov 8, 2018
Both improved. She was also almost leaping a full foot across her power line before too. The problem is the more she throws the further the ball gets from the power line. She really bends the elbow and shortens her arm circle at about 2 o'clock. I didn't know if there was a drill that would really get that in the best position other than the wall drill. When everything is correct she throws great.

Now it’s just practice practice practice.

Aug 12, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Ya that arm bend from 2-12 is pretty bad. I would try to have do standing arm circles (no feet movement just isolate the arm). Hips are open (45ish) arms point straight ahead to catcher and just work on slow movements from 3 to 12-ish perhaps even watching in the mirror without the ball first. Then from a short distance to the net, then back her up. She can pump back but then pause at 3 to make sure she is extended and to think about keeping straighter as she goes up.

Apr 12, 2015
She really bends the elbow and shortens her arm circle at about 2 o'clock. I didn't know if there was a drill that would really get that in the best position other than the wall drill.

All a wall drill will teach her is to have a straight, stiff arm. I'll reiterate what I said previously....I don't think the short arming coming over the top is necessarily a negative as long as it is corrected by the 11 o'clock position.

My personal focus would be on drive mechanics to include double H-positions, Front Side Resistance, and hip snap. Only after those are great would I address what I personally see as a cosmetic change.

When questioning what effect a short arm upswing has it is important to keep in mind that pitchers with great mechanics can generate the vast, vast majority of their velocity with a slingshot pitch that has no upswing at all.

Feb 4, 2010
She can standing arm circles and walk throughs without any arm bend. It's when she is full windup it happens. I am not really sure what double h positions are. We have been going slower off a balance beam and the arm looks a little better. I hope your right about getting to the correct position at 11 o'clock. The problem is that one person says it needs fixed and the next says it doesn't. LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28