Any advice on DD swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2016
Looks like she does something different with her hands that I don't see in others swings. I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thank you.

[video]https://youtu.be/M_IuDN9rznw[/video]

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Looks like she does something different with her hands that I don't see in others swings. I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thank you.

[video]https://youtu.be/M_IuDN9rznw[/video]

The load is back instead of into the ground. This makes the mass shift to much. This flaw will accentuate timing issues as well as balance issues.

Mar 4, 2016
she hits a ton of hard hit balls to third base but either it goes foul or 3rd throws her out at first. Any info you could give on how to work on switching the load to the ground? Is there a metric on the blast sensor that will tell us if she’s improving on that? Thanks for the input :)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The load is back instead of into the ground.
Oh brother...what does that even mean......The load is all back all forward but, it's into/on the ground.
tumblr_ppk3ld2NZ71usf292o1_500.gif

tumblr_ppk3xqsdzY1usf292o1_500.gif

Your DD has a downward swing/barrel path....at least off of the tee.
Just look at the lines of the garage door and that will show you.
INCREASE HER LAUNCH ANGLE....HIT IT TO THE TOP OF THE NET. Learn to turn the barrel forward.
Don't let me get started about hitting off of the front leg....rear leg...rear leg....try to hit without the rear foot coming off the ground(I know it will but, try).

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Oh brother...what does that even mean......The load is all back all forward but, it's into/on the ground.

Your DD has a downward swing/barrel path....at least off of the tee.
Just look at the lines of the garage door and that will show you.
INCREASE HER LAUNCH ANGLE....HIT IT TO THE TOP OF THE NET. Learn to turn the barrel forward.
Don't let me get started about hitting off of the front leg....rear leg...rear leg....try to hit without the rear foot coming off the ground(I know it will but, try).

Of course you don’t understand. But you will advise. Go figure.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Here' a few things I'm seeing...

- All-back/all-forward movement pattern. She seems to have the intent to pull everything back in order to push everything forward.
- Reverse shoulder tilt. Front shoulder is coming up, and rear shoulder is dropping down as she strides forward.
- Hands move down to the level of the ball for contact.

Here's what we want to see...https://noontimebaseball.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/JDMartinez_PH_HR.gif

- Weight stays on inside of rear leg. Load is into and around the rear hip, not a weight shift behind the rear foot.
- Front shoulder is pulled down and in as the hands are being pulled back during the stride forward. Pull back is into the scap (like drawing back a bow), not pushing the hands rearward towards the backstop.
- Hands stay above the ball as the barrel works down behind and up through contact. Barrel works in an arc around the hands on a tilted swing plane. Tilt varies for pitch location.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Here' a few things I'm seeing...

- All-back/all-forward movement pattern. She seems to have the intent to pull everything back in order to push everything forward.
- Reverse shoulder tilt. Front shoulder is coming up, and rear shoulder is dropping down as she strides forward.
- Hands move down to the level of the ball for contact.

Here's what we want to see...https://noontimebaseball.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/JDMartinez_PH_HR.gif

- Weight stays on inside of rear leg. Load is into and around the rear hip, not a weight shift behind the rear foot.
- Front shoulder is pulled down and in as the hands are being pulled back during the stride forward. Pull back is into the scap (like drawing back a bow), not pushing the hands rearward towards the backstop.
- Hands stay above the ball as the barrel works down behind and up through contact. Barrel works in an arc around the hands on a tilted swing plane. Tilt varies for pitch location.

Djubs, you mentioned she hits a ton of hard balls to 3rd base or foul. Eric gives a lot of solid advice here IMO, however the things I highlighted will help her behind and through the ball more. "Barrel working down and behind the ball" will result in more solid hits up the middle. Of course that depends on pitch location as well, but I think you get the picture

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

You need to 'TAP OUT' again....
But you will advise
Tap out....again.
Here:
The load is back instead of into the ground. This makes the mass shift to much. This flaw will accentuate timing issues as well as balance issues.
Explain, what this even means....type slow because I'm slowwwwwwwwwwwww.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

So, hand/barrel path isn't going down.

But, she does have that front hip pivot point that you like.
Also, doesn't have that 'early bat speed' that you're against.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

So, hand/barrel path isn't going down.

But, she does have that front hip pivot point that you like.
Also, doesn't have that 'early bat speed' that you're against.

I have said it so many times... Negative move with resistance gets you into the ground through your back heel which is taken with you until it’s released into the ball. I could pull up a tutorial if you like... If my words aren’t simple enough for you to follow along. I’ve told you umm I don’t know 100 times already.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2