AN OUT IS AN OUT???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
and you use wristbands at that level? ha ha ha

Yeah, and I'm not a jerk. Too bad you can't say the same.

A catcher dropping a third strike has nothing to do with signs. Smart coaches and parents know that. I guess you don't qualify.

Mar 28, 2014
Yeah, and I'm not a jerk. Too bad you can't say the same.

A catcher dropping a third strike has nothing to do with signs. Smart coaches and parents know that. I guess you don't qualify.
When you reply to my post with "sorry not sorry, you ARE a jerk.

Oct 4, 2018
Gotcha. So this comes down to the fact I should coach my team based on what some random parent in the stands thinks. He doesn't like to hear numbers called.

Excellent, I'll let the girls know at practice tonight. Thanks for your expert advice.

Aug 5, 2015
You have a lot of emotion in your post. That’s not a bad thing but sometimes the emotion takes a little intelligence away.

Yes, there have been a good number of errors but there have been WAY more putouts on ground balls than errors. Errors stand out so we notice them. Putout are the norm so they don’t stand out. I would bet there are not enough errors against offenses to win a game as a game plan.
I see a lot of condescension in your post, that is a bad thing and doesn't make your argument correct.

A substantial percentage of hits, even at the elite D1 level, are not well struck line drives. That doesn't mean the defense is making a ton of errors, they just can't cover the whole field.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I see a lot of condescension in your post, that is a bad thing and doesn't make your argument correct.

A substantial percentage of hits, even at the elite D1 level, are not well struck line drives. That doesn't mean the defense is making a ton of errors, they just can't cover the whole field.

You can take it how ever you want but it wasn’t meant as condescending as I stated In a later post.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW

The question I would pose is this: Is the hitter going trying to get a well struck line drive or is the hitter trying to put the ball in play. I thought/think this is the discussion...the approach

I suspect the hitter is looking to hit a well struck line drive...the fact that they got a hit that wasn't what they were after could still be a result of their approach. This weekend we had a rough final game...got down a bunch of runs to a very quality team. Long story short...we put up 8 runs in the last inning almost won the game. two of our hits were well hit balls to the gaps. The rest ended up being hard ground balls. I even asked a couple players...were you trying to hit a GB? They told me "No, i was tyring to hit to the gap...i just missed". My point is they intent was there, the execution was just off but good things still happened. If they'd tried to just put it in play...we'd have been out of the inning and game over much quicker

Jan 24, 2009
I have listened to numbers guys in baseball for several years and I guess some of it goes back to Money Ball, but I have a problem with the "out is an out" philosophy in baseball and softball. Was listening to a former college softball coach on a podcast say that you don't shorten up with 2 strikes to "put the ball in play". His comment was a weak fly ball to left is an out just like a strikeout. I think that is a poor analogy. Those outs may be the same, but with a runner on second and no outs, 2 ground balls to the second baseman is 2 outs, but a run has scored. That is vastly different from 2 strikeouts. Why is it that everyone is afraid of "productive" outs just so they can try for the homerun? I'm not a longstanding or even a good coach, but I have tried to get my girls to understand that they are free to take BIG Hacks on the first 2 strikes (those are her strikes), but that 3rd strike is the TEAM's. I don't hate sabermetrics, but I just don't know how coaches don't promote the productive out. Sorry for the rant, but do want to know what the folks on here think.
Well, I'm a classic "moneyball" guy and Oakland A's fan, so I'll take you up on that...
First off, the vast majority of all games are won with a "big inning"...in fact, in softball, often times the winning team will score more runs in one inning than the losing team does in the whole game....so therefore it behooves us to think "big inning" than even contemplating a "productive out" to advance a runner one base.
Now, getting back to your "out is an out" thing....I take the meaning of that to be "an out is frigging important!" - not that all outs are equal.
But outs are accidental for the most part...if an out happens to advance a runner or score a run...great, but a clean hit would have been better!
Lastly, your girls are right about not buying into your "2 for you and 1 for the team" philosophy....it doesn't make sense on many levels....
Better to use the "pizza box" strategy
-No strikes, protect a small (ham and pineapple)
-1 strike, protect a medium (pepperoni and mushroom)
-2 strikes, you gotta protect the large vegitarion !!!!

Go A's !

Apr 20, 2017
I find these types of discussions very interesting. But how about we change up the question a little and see the results. You are setting you lineup and batting 9 players. 8 spots are set and this is the two players left.

Player A has extremely high contact percentage but only .250 batting average. Has lowest strikeouts on the team but also has lowest amount of walks and OBP. Very low number of RBI’s considering the amount of chances. Not a threat for the long hard hit ball.

Player B has .500 contact percentage with a
.385 batting average. Leads team in strikeouts but also leads team in homeruns. Has pretty good pitch selection and will take walks and has OBP of .600. Has high number of RBI for opportunity. Has the power to change game with one swing.

If you are setting your lineup and only batting one of these which player are you batting and why?

Mar 28, 2014
I find these types of discussions very interesting. But how about we change up the question a little and see the results. You are setting you lineup and batting 9 players. 8 spots are set and this is the two players left.

Player A has extremely high contact percentage but only .250 batting average. Has lowest strikeouts on the team but also has lowest amount of walks and OBP. Very low number of RBI’s considering the amount of chances. Not a threat for the long hard hit ball.

Player B has .500 contact percentage with a
.385 batting average. Leads team in strikeouts but also leads team in homeruns. Has pretty good pitch selection and will take walks and has OBP of .600. Has high number of RBI for opportunity. Has the power to change game with one swing.

If you are setting your lineup and only batting one of these which player are you batting and why?
If you are batting someone 9th who is your team leader in HR's with a .600 OBP you need to quit coaching and take up knitting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802