AN OUT IS AN OUT???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Not really talking about lineup positions. Just selecting top 9 batters to put in lineup.
Your post was an analogy where you were deciding about whether to insert your leading HR hitter with a .600 OBP into the lineup. I assumed that if a coach were on the fence about whether to bat someone or not, it's logical to think that they would be batting last, otherwise, they would already be in the lineup, right?

But clearly I made my post in jest because there is no scenario ever where a coach would be deciding whether or not to insert his leading HR hitter with a .600 OBP into the lineup. :)

Apr 20, 2017
Your post was an analogy where you were deciding about whether to insert your leading HR hitter with a .600 OBP into the lineup. I assumed that if a coach were on the fence about whether to bat someone or not, it's logical to think that they would be batting last, otherwise, they would already be in the lineup, right?

But clearly I made my post in jest because there is no scenario ever where a coach would be deciding whether or not to insert his leading HR hitter with a .600 OBP into the lineup. :)

You might be surprised. It goes along with different coaches philosophy of an out being an out. Some coaches measure batting by strikeouts. But instead of general talk it gives the choice of two options. A true contact hitter vs power hitter. Do you roll the dice on hoping for an error with contact or risk a strikeout for the possibility of big hit.

Nov 4, 2015
Well, I'm a classic "moneyball" guy and Oakland A's fan, so I'll take you up on that...
First off, the vast majority of all games are won with a "big inning"...in fact, in softball, often times the winning team will score more runs in one inning than the losing team does in the whole game....so therefore it behooves us to think "big inning" than even contemplating a "productive out" to advance a runner one base.
Now, getting back to your "out is an out" thing....I take the meaning of that to be "an out is frigging important!" - not that all outs are equal.
But outs are accidental for the most part...if an out happens to advance a runner or score a run...great, but a clean hit would have been better!
Lastly, your girls are right about not buying into your "2 for you and 1 for the team" philosophy....it doesn't make sense on many levels....
Better to use the "pizza box" strategy
-No strikes, protect a small (ham and pineapple)
-1 strike, protect a medium (pepperoni and mushroom)
-2 strikes, you gotta protect the large vegitarion !!!!

Go A's !

I'm not a huge moneyball guy, but i did love the A's when they had the Bash brothers and walt weis! You said not to buy into the "2 for you and 1 for the team philosophy" and then basically said the same thing with the "pizza box strategy". What you wrote, promotes putting more balls in play. I never tell the girls to "protect" anything. I tell them to be more aggressive in swinging the bat at borderline pitches when they have 2 strikes. Standing there watching a close pitch get called a strike is awful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802