12U - this weekend - please critique - thanks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2008
She took just a few lessons from a college pitcher a year or so ago. ( ball turns and faces 2nd at top, push down wave up )
We have been together over the last 4 months.
I have a vid that her dad captured(he is her catcher) a few weeks ago.
A few changes have been made since.
She is a tall strong girl and I do have her using 2 fingers as she has longer fingers than most.

I would love to get this distinguished group of users to review this vid.
Thanks
4green

https://youtu.be/xfkDR4OeGxk

Last edited:
May 9, 2015
West Virginia
I’m not distinguished but her arm circle/pull looks pretty good to me. I’d work on getting her posture a tad better and not monkey butt as bad so she could get a little better brush but more importantly work on some upper arm stabilization. If I were working with her, I’d ace a bucket or something to her glove side so she has to get her right foot under her better so she can stand taller and talk to her about really stabilizing her upper arm. Hopefully some better eyes than I have can help you out on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The last video looks very good. On that video, there is good front side resistance, brush interference and internal rotation. My advice is to permanently delete the other videos.

I agree with Man10...she needs to practice, practice, and practice. She put it all together in the last video. If she were my DD, she would be throwing 100 pitches a day...takes about an hour.

IMHO, it is time to start working on drive mechanics, the changeup and the drop.

The drive mechanics thread in the forum by Java is superb...it is probably the best guide anywhere. Java did a tremendous job.

Also, time to learn how to hide the ball.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2016
She's taking a big first step with her drive foot. She needs to learn to push off from the rubber, not step away from it and then push. It can be a hard habit to break, so the sooner she starts working on it the better.

Jul 14, 2008
Thanks everyone for your observations.
I deleted the 3 older vids and left the most recent vid.
It was pointed out to me by a very special HOFer that the ball was briefly pointed towards 1st base during the upswing and that she corrected it with her elbow down the back side. He also said her hand appeared to be possibly trapped behind her body(he said he couldn't be sure based on viewing angle) causing her to have accuracy and consistency issues.
We tried several corrections to no avail and then finally found a single answer to both of those issues.
The change we made has improved her spin/speed/accuracy/and consistency and she appears to be using less effort.
I want to give her more time to solidify the change before I provide another vid for review.
A big shout out to JM for his help.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Yeah, eager to see the next video. This one looked like a drill. Assuming it was, the motions looked pretty good to me.

Jul 14, 2008
well - here's another vid for review.
She is now using the rubber for practice and stepping off the rubber - will start to work on driving off the rubber with a better pre-motion for drive and drag.
This pitch shows several issues to work on.
Drive leg kicks out too far behind her.
Brush was missing on this pitch even though her upper arm stabilization looks good.
Posture was not upright enough at release for a good brush.
Is she stepping too far to the right and is that causing any of the listed issues above?
Angle of video doesn't capture the arm down the back side.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRc6Ie_SCZ0

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Going with what everyone has said earlier about working on drive mechanics. I'm not sure if you meant she is stepping (instead of driving) off the rubber because this is a warm up drill. The biggest thing I see is the mental approach that she is trying to get open which in turn is causing a lot of the issues you mentioned. If she tried not to open but used the drive to open you would probably see the step stay straighter and the back knee point to the catcher sooner which in turn should help the posture. Proper drive mechanics opens your hips for you without having to try.

Nov 18, 2015
[...]
We tried several corrections to no avail and then finally found a single answer to both of those issues.
The change we made has improved her spin/speed/accuracy/and consistency and she appears to be using less effort.
[...]
What was the change that you made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478