14yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Makes sense, figured there would of been a couple good teams and pitcher who would attempt not to pitch her inside or down the middle.

Have you seen the latest from TM.. simple but effective

I really like the idea of TM's dual-flashlight thingy.

May 12, 2016
I really like the idea of TM's dual-flashlight thingy.
Me too.. less is more sometimes I believe. Both our girls have been playing a while, but back to the basics makes sense sometimes. I believe this will help any girl stay inside, get behind and through the ball better

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, if your trying to match Rich's pattern why not just have her work on swinging from one leg while snapping the barrel from behind ? I would think that will force her to swing from behind with a tighter hand pivot.

That kind of work is included in her diet. As always, translating drills to full swings on moving balls is a process, and some habits are really hard to re-program.

Also, I'm not in charge of her instruction. She hasn't been willing to listen to me for years, so I pay someone to tell her the things I want to say. Thankfully, her instructor is teaching a pattern I agree with. He and I talk frequently about swing mechanics, and review video together, but I stay out of the direct instruction part.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
That kind of work is included in her diet. As always, translating drills to full swings on moving balls is a process, and some habits are really hard to re-program.

Also, I'm not in charge of her instruction. She hasn't been willing to listen to me for years, so I pay someone to tell her the things I want to say. Thankfully, her instructor is teaching a pattern I agree with. He and I talk frequently about swing mechanics, and review video together, but I stay out of the direct instruction part.

Why not have the instructor remove making it a drill and just focus on using one leg during full swings ? I would think have her start with her front leg off the ground with all the weight over the rear leg and tell her the front leg/foot can't touch the ground until the follow through.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Why not have the instructor remove making it a drill and just focus on using one leg during full swings ? I would think have her start with her front leg off the ground with all the weight over the rear leg and tell her the front leg/foot can't touch the ground until the follow through.

I'm okay with how the instructor is moving things along, and his approach to making adjustments.

Reactions: TDS
Jun 8, 2016
:rolleyes:

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Eric.

I have a Swing Rail and have never used it. If the hitter is long in the back then a Rope bat isn't good for them. If the hitter is pushing the hands and out front with the arc then a Swing Rail isn't good for them and a Rope Bat is good for them. The Swing Rail is good for a hitter who is long in the backswing. The Rope bat is good if a hitter needs to turn the barrel sooner and not arc way out front.

If I ever use the Swing Rail, I wouldn't take to many swings with it. Maybe about 10 to get the point of a tighter rotational point and move on.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Happy Birthday to her! Here's to her having a great 15 yr old season!

It is definitely hard to get a desired hand path/barrel path for outside ball when the hands move out that much. Add the rotation she has in the video and pullback component...its even more difficult.

Does the instructor ever mention for her to take the rear knee and snap if you will....in the direction of the desired hand path for the outside pitch....decreasing the rotation while she is working on this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478