14U Swing help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I think I get what your saying. Yes her hands are doing all the work. The body is not aiding her swing at all. Or her hands are loading to soon causing drag. Not sure. My best guess.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_psc7k3YwPC1usf292o1_250.gif

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Just a short follow up. We did switch hitting instructors. She made some adjustments. Did have 1 strike out in a 14U Elite out of State Tournament. Her team is all first year 14U. Anyway, hit .800 for the tournament and moved up 3 spots in the order. Pitched great too!

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here is what I see. It is something very common. She is taking her hands to the pitch. Because of that they almost appear lower than the pitch as it crosses the plate (I could check but no time right now to grab and breakdown video). In the first swing, the hands may drop lower than the belt! Here is the question she must answer and understand -
DO YOU HIT THE BALL WITH YOUR HANDS OR WITH THE BARREL? OF course the Barrel. Then turn the BARREL into the path of the ball. If she does this her hands will not drop to the level of the pitch.

Study a few hitters. Watch them use their shoulder tilt connected to core rotation and hands to turn the barrel into the path of the ball.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
What I am seeing is the most common error of all young batters. Her hands drop first. She first needs to understand that those hands dropping are what is causing 90% of the problem. All those stuff about fyb and separation, and on and on are only useful once the correct path has been established. Her top hand never establishes an "oar lock". Have her hit high tee, front elbow up, back elbow down. (I really like this. )
Ball must go straight out or slightly up. Learn to swing from here first. Then once this becomes her swing move on to the other stuff.

View attachment 14263
Really like this whole comment.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23