14U Swing help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
There is a few things that go wrong in your DDs sequence. She ‘walks away from her hands’ too much. The hands should get sucked into the body during the forward move(especially with a big forward move and handset like your DDs). She also drops her hands and swings ‘up’.

These 2 errors combine to make for a draggy, long swing that would frustrate anyone. I think if you fix the ‘loading’ of the hands the dropping might go away.

I would work on her load. I would teach her to let her hands GET loaded. Instead of trying to load them. If the load is correct the ‘knob at the catcher’ will be a result. Not an action.

Not sure exactly what you mean here "walks away from hands" we do not want her hands following her lower body forward before toe touch if anything just prior to toe touch you see alot of elite swings that reach back just a little extra before coming forward.

She does drop her hands but it would be interesting to she what she does with a high pitch it might just be she doesn't understand she can hit that low pitch with high hands and the proper bat angle this is a very common problem with many new to intermediate hitters.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_psaee8pZyy1usf292o1_400.gif

Get rid of the 'bat dragggggg'........
Like Elvis used to say TTB baby............

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Not sure exactly what you mean here "walks away from hands" we do not want her hands following her lower body forward before toe touch if anything just prior to toe touch you see alot of elite swings that reach back just a little extra before coming forward.

She does drop her hands but it would be interesting to she what she does with a high pitch it might just be she doesn't understand she can hit that low pitch with high hands and the proper bat angle this is a very common problem with many new to intermediate hitters.

It’s a matter of style or handset in this case.

This young lady’s handset is already back at the rear shoulder to begin with so anymore would be detrimental. If she had started more over the pectoral muscle ala Miggy or Mookie she would then need to ‘move’ the hands ‘back’ through her sequence during her forward move.

Since she doesn’t. Her handset only allows for the scap to retract with the hands coming closer in space and to the shoulder or staying neutral during the forward move. It’s ‘style’ within the mechanic.

Hands go ‘back’.

Hands come ‘forward’.

Different handsets yield different ‘looks’. But same results if done correctly.

Either way she should end up with her hands ‘back’ right behind the shoulder at toe touch or heel plant with the scap retracted.

In this case she lost her hands during the forward move causing drag and drop. There really is nowhere else to go from that position. imo.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
tumblr_psaee8pZyy1usf292o1_400.gif

Get rid of the 'bat dragggggg'........
Like Elvis used to say TTB baby............

She definitely has bat drag. Everything to right field. Not a lot of power. A lot of pop ups to the right side.

What's the best/easiest way to fix? Any good drills to help?

Sep 29, 2014
It’s a matter of style or handset in this case.

This young lady’s handset is already back at the rear shoulder to begin with so anymore would be detrimental. If she had started more over the pectoral muscle ala Miggy or Mookie she would then need to ‘move’ the hands ‘back’ through her sequence during her forward move.

Since she doesn’t. Her handset only allows for the scap to retract with the hands coming closer in space and to the shoulder or staying neutral during the forward move. It’s ‘style’ within the mechanic.

Hands go ‘back’.

Hands come ‘forward’.

Different handsets yield different ‘looks’. But same results if done correctly.

Either way she should end up with her hands ‘back’ right behind the shoulder at toe touch or heel plant with the scap retracted.

In this case she lost her hands during the forward move causing drag and drop. There really is nowhere else to go from that position. imo.

Think we are on the same page just talking past each other. In the end as long as at launch the position is correct you can make it work in this case Nat is not, at toe touch shows her way too early and the hands have dropped.

Apr 12, 2016
There is a few things that go wrong in your DDs sequence. She ‘walks away from her hands’ too much. The hands should get sucked into the body during the forward move(especially with a big forward move and handset like your DDs). She also drops her hands and swings ‘up’.

These 2 errors combine to make for a draggy, long swing that would frustrate anyone. I think if you fix the ‘loading’ of the hands the dropping might go away.

I would work on her load. I would teach her to let her hands GET loaded. Instead of trying to load them. If the load is correct the ‘knob at the catcher’ will be a result. Not an action.

What do you mean by loading the hands?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What do you mean by loading the hands?

Scapular retraction right after the forward move begins.... Or the hands connecting to the body’s rotation. So the core can pull the hands.

The energy never gets to the hands. Hence the barrel is dragged. Partially due to the ABAF loading pattern. Partially due to walking away from the hands too much(handset really).

The load needs to be solidified. The hands should act accordingly. If not. Teaching a scap retract in sequence will be needed.

I had a player last weekend become a bit draggy. I reminded her of her ‘load’ and to practice in between pitches the rest of the tourney. The drag disappeared thereafter.

I would recommend the step back drill with tempo at 50-70% done with the thought of a steady head.As well a slight ‘slow down’ at the top of her load(right before her forward move)... to feel her core pull and her hands receive energy(scapular retraction).See if the drag and drop disappears.

Josh Donaldson talks of his ‘rubber band’. That’s what is needed here.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
What 'loads' usually 'unloads'. Example: 'load' the hands and the hands will 'unload'. Maybe causing 'bat drag'.
The rear leg is loaded by the coil of the hip and the pulling back of the muscles of the back against the leg.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45